AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Salah picked in UEFA Europa League Team of the Week
Mohamed Salah has been named as one of three Fiorentina players in this week’s UEFA Europa League Team of the Week following a scintillating performance for La Viola in their round of 16 second leg match against Roma last night.
The Egyptian, joined by teammates Jose Maria Basanta and Matias Fernandez in the team of the week, enjoyed one of his best displays for his Florence-based side at the Stadio Olympico. His pace, trickery and movement caused all sorts of problems for the Roma defence, almost culminating in two brilliant goals for the on-loan Pharaoh.
Twice he struck the bar, with two chances arguably more brilliant than each other. The first was a mazy run through the Roma defence on the counter, hitting the crossbar after starting the run in his own half. The second, just as mesmerising, a top corner curler from outside the box, struck the inside of the post and back out into play late on.
UEFA.com certainly noticed, mentioning: “The on-loan Egyptian international winger’s searing pace frightened Roma all night. He deserved a goal for his endeavours, but all he could find was the woodwork – striking both the crossbar and a post.”
Salah’s Fiorentina have now progressed on to the next round of the Europa League, facing off against Dynamo Kiev of Ukraine in the quarter-final first leg on the 16th of March.
Across in the UEFA Champions League, there were also some notable African players picked for the team of the week. Algerian star Yacine Brahimi, who is enjoying a stellar season for FC Porto, was picked for his performance in the 4-0 drubbing of Mohamed El-Nenny and Ahmed Hamoudi’s FC Basel, in which he scored the opener. Tunisia and AS Monaco defender Aymen Abdennour also made the cut following a solid performance in his side’s away goal knockout of Premier League giants Arsenal.