Al Ahly manager Hossam El-Badry has announced his 22-man squad to face...
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
- Elmohamady’s Hull slump to disappointing loss against Middlesbrough
Maghreb sides endure friendly misery
Algeria was the only positive light for the Maghreb as they conjured one win in their two friendly fixtures. Their response to a shock 1-goal defeat to Qatar was an overwhelming 4 goal thrashing over, another Asian minnow, Oman. Feghouli and Belfodil notched up braces before Oman got a consolation goal in the match played in Doha.
The Carthage eagles continued their underwhelming results from the AFCON 2015; where they were dumped out by Equatorial Guinea. They too looked to Asia as a hunting ground for good tidings but were left dissapointed from their Far East campaign. Japan beat them 2-0 before they saved some face with 1-all draw against China.
AFCON banned Morocco hosted a more high profile opponent in Agadir but came up short. Cavani struck from the spotkick to lead Uruguay to, an expected, 1-0 win.
Their fellow North Africans, Egypt, opened their ‘Cuper era’ with a 2-0 home win against Equatorial Guinea.