Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Mahmoud Gaber lead Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
Maghreb sides endure friendly misery
Algeria was the only positive light for the Maghreb as they conjured one win in their two friendly fixtures. Their response to a shock 1-goal defeat to Qatar was an overwhelming 4 goal thrashing over, another Asian minnow, Oman. Feghouli and Belfodil notched up braces before Oman got a consolation goal in the match played in Doha.
The Carthage eagles continued their underwhelming results from the AFCON 2015; where they were dumped out by Equatorial Guinea. They too looked to Asia as a hunting ground for good tidings but were left dissapointed from their Far East campaign. Japan beat them 2-0 before they saved some face with 1-all draw against China.
AFCON banned Morocco hosted a more high profile opponent in Agadir but came up short. Cavani struck from the spotkick to lead Uruguay to, an expected, 1-0 win.
Their fellow North Africans, Egypt, opened their ‘Cuper era’ with a 2-0 home win against Equatorial Guinea.