Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
Luigi Simoni: Salah reminds of Inter’s Ronaldo, ‘a phenomenon’
Luigi Simoni, a former Italian player and coach whose managed the likes of Napoli and Inter, shed some heavy praise on Egyptian superstar Mohamed Salah in an interview with ViolaNews.
When asked about Salah prior to the second leg Coppa Italia showdown with Juventus, Luigi described the Egyptian international as ‘a phenomenon’, and even drew further comparisons with Lionel Messi.
“I can not wait to see him play alongside Rossi. Salah is like Messi, a phenomenon, a player that wins games,” he answered.
Luigi coached Inter during the 98-99 season, where he won the UEFA Cup while Ronaldo played under him. The Italian football technical director believes Salah is progressing at a similar fashion to the Brazil legend, despite the clear differences.
“The progression of Salah here reminds me of Ronaldo at my Inter. Certainly both play in different positions, and Ronaldo was stronger physically than Salah,” he added.
72 – Mohamed Salah currently has the best mins/goal ratio among all foreign stars during their debut seasons in Italy pic.twitter.com/ARaiUR9BrZ
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 7, 2015
Luigi was also asked if 22-year-old Mohamed Salah reminded him of legendary Italian international Roberto Baggio.
“Baggio was slower and followed more of a team play mentality, maybe a technical comparison can be made. Players are elusive and unpredictable. Salah is a very unique player, watching him in Serie A is a pleasure to all Italians, regardless of the team they are rooting for,” he concluded.
Fiorentina and Juventus will face each other tonight at Stadio Artemio Franchi, with the winner keeping an eye on the other tie between Napoli and Lazio to know their opponent in the domestic cup final showdown.