The Ahly handball team beat their Zamalek counterparts, without legend Ahmed El...
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
- AS Roma to face Olympique Lyonnais in Europa League
- Smouha set date for Ulinzi Stars clash
- El-Hadary: I apologise to everyone at Wadi Degla
- Essam El-Hadary: I may leave Wadi Degla
- Former teammate talks about ‘scissors’ incident between Mido and Zlatan
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
Gabon to host AFCON 2017
Located in the west-central part of the continent, Gabon won a three-horse race to host the 2017 edition over Ghana and Algeria.
Gabon, who’s national team has gone from regional minnow to force over the past 10 years, co-hosted AFCON 2012 with neighbors Equatorial Guinea.
Algeria, once favorites to host the competition, could possibly have fallen victim to a purported row between FA chief Mohamed Raouraoua and Issa Hayatou, longtime president of African football’s governing body (CAF).
Uncorroborated reports suggest that Raouraoua may have been planning to run for the CAF presidency, threatening Hayatou’s 27-year stranglehold on the position.
Egypt, still reeling from political upheaval, then withdrew its application, instead throwing its weight behind Algeria’s bid.