Former Egypt manager Hassan Shehata has resigned from his post as Petrojet...
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
Ismaily dent Al Ahly’s title hopes following 1-1 draw in Gouna
Egypt international midfielders Amr El-Sulaya and Momen Zakaria scored a goal at each side to end the game between Egyptian giants Ismaily and Al Ahly in a 1-1 draw.
Al Ahly’s Egyptian Premier League title hopes were dealt another blow on Wednesday after they were held 1-1 by rivals Ismaily in El-Gouna.
The first 25 minutes of the game had no serious chances at either side of the pitch. A few minutes later, Ismaily’s latest signing, Emmanuel Banahene, was one-on-one with Sherif Ekramy, however, the Ghanaian striker failed to convert the easy chance.
On the counter, ex-Ismaily midfielder Abdallah El-Said wasted his own glorious chance against his old club, shooting the ball into Ismaily’s goalpost from three yards out, despite an open goal.
It was then all Ismaily until half-time, keeping Ekramy very busy. Amr El-Sulaya scored a freak goal just before the whistle. His ball hit the bar, off centre-back Saad Samir and into the back of the net.
Ismaily had no chances to extend their lead in the second half while Al Ahly had many to equalise.
Momen Zakaria, who scored a brace in the Champions League over the weekend, failed to convert two easy chances inside the box, curling the ball inches wide on both occasions.
The best chance of the game came following a brilliant chipped-pass from Hossam Ghaly to find Abdallah El-Said. Abdallah then squared the ball to Walid Soliman, but his shot was not on target.
It wasn’t until the the 84th minute when Momen Zakaria was tackled inside the area by Omar El-Wahsh. Ahly were awarded a penalty that Zakaria converted calmly to bring the score to 1-1.
Ismaily now have 33 points, having 6 points deducted at the beginning of the season, while Al Ahly now have 40 points. Ismaily face Misr El-Maqassa next, while Ahly play Dakhleya.
In other news, ENPPI and Al-Ragaa’s game finished 2-2, a result which falls in favour of league leaders Zamalek.