Alexandrian Smouha SC was stunned by a fifth ACL injury this season...
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
Sporting dump Ghazal, Gomaa’s CD Nacional out of Portuguese Cup
Aly Ghazal started in his side’s away leg against Sporting CP in the Portuguese Cup semi-final while Gomaa began on the bench as the Alvinegros were dealt a fatal 1-0 loss.
Manuel Machado started the game with Ghazal in midfield while his compatriot Saleh Gomaa was left on the bench despite a good first leg performance.
As the game progressed, hope was starting to fade for the Madeira side as time was running up and Sporting were dominating in all the significant areas of the games leaving Nacional with rare chances to score.
In the 65th minute Machado decided to bring some more offense onto his side by subbing in Saleh Gomaa in favour of Aly Ghazal.
However, the strategy did not pay off. In the 86th minute Ewerton made sure of his side qualification as the Brazilian centre-back headed home the ball to make it 1-0 and 3-2 on aggregate for the Lisbon side.
With this defeat Saleh Gomaa and Aly Ghazal’s CD Nacional are officially eliminated from the Taça De Portugal after a decent run in the competition that brought them one stage away from the final.
Sporting CP will be waiting to know who their opponent in the final will be. Ahmed ‘Koka’ Hassan’s Rio Ave, who also reached the semi-final of the competition, will be trying to overcome a first leg away defeat of 3-0 when they face Braga at home on the 30th of April in order to reach the final.
Nacional’s next game is set to take place in the league on Sunday as they take on Gil Vicente at home in the 28th round of the Primeira Liga.