Al Ahly football director and former player Sayed Abdel-Hafiz spoke about his...
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
Salah struggles as Fiorentina lose 3-0 to Champions League rivals Napoli
A well-structured Napoli were able to close down Mohamed Salah, as the Egyptian had a quiet and irritating first half and was only able to make two runs inside the 18-yard box.
Napoli were quite dominant in the first half as they made it hard for La Viola to have any impact at all. Belgian star, Dries Mertens, found the back of the net in the 23rd minute with a shot that breezed right past Neto.
Mohamed Salah had a good first half when it came to keeping possession of the ball, but struggled to create danger inside the box. Fiorentina’s performance improved after conceding the goal from Mertens, but continued to struggle in Naples.
As the second half began, Fiorentina improved greatly as German star, Mario Gomez, came on for Josip Iličić. Mohamed Salah continued to maintain possession of the ball and made some lightning fast runs into the box, but it was not enough to get Fiorentina back into the game.
With pressure coming from La Viola, Napoli brought on Marek Hamsik in the 64th minute, and shortly after he was able to find the back of the net in the 71st minute.
Napoli were able to hold off Fiorentina until the final whistle, and secured themselves a spot in 4th place, now one point clear from La Viola, as both teams are hoping to push for the final Champions League spot.
Fiorentina play Dynamo Kyiv on Thursday, April 16, in the Europa league quarter-finals as both teams will look to secure a position in the semi-finals.