Egypt’s Mohamed Safwat was knocked out of Dubai Tennis Championships from the first...
- Monfils eliminates Safwat from Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ahmed Elmohamady: Everything has changed at Hull City
- Al Ahly announce stadium for Bidvest Wits clash
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
VIDEO: El-Nenny appears in brilliant cameo as FC Basel thump Zurich 5-1
Mohamed El-Nenny made a brilliant cameo appearance last night as FC Basel extended their lead at the top of the Swiss Super League to 10 points with a convincing 5-1 win over FC Zurich. Ahmed Hamoudi was not named in the squad.
The league leaders took the lead 24 minutes into the match with the in-form Shkëlzen Gashi converting a deep corner at the back post. Gashi, who has been in fantastic goal scoring form, was red carded in the 44th minute, with FC Zurich having had a man sent off six minutes prior.
A second goal for FC Basel came in the 44th minute, with Cameroon-born Embolo tapping home a rebound off the crossbar to give the Swiss giants an almost unassailable lead going into the second half.
With barely a minute and a half gone in the second half, Embolo sealed the game after capitalising on some slack defending to score his second and FC Basel’s third of the game through the legs of the oncoming keeper.
El-Nenny was substituted on in the 58th minute, replacing Delgado who had put in a tidy shift. In the 70th minute FC Zurich scored their first for the afternoon, with Etoundi pulling one back for the visitors, emphatically finishing a square ball into the top left hand corner of the net.
It was mere consolation though, as six minutes later Embolo had his hat-trick, latching on to a El-Nenny through ball and finishing past the keeper cooly to make it 4-1.
The rout was completed in the 88th minute, with El-Nenny putting pressure on FC Zurich’s Djimsiti, who comically finished past his own keeper after a poor back pass to make it 5-1.
FC Basel now sit on 61 points in the Swiss Super League standings, 10 points clear of second placed Young Boys. Basel’s next league game is away to FC Sion on the 19th of April.