Zamalek were held to a goalless draw against Tanta in gameweek 26...
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
VIDEO: El-Nenny appears in brilliant cameo as FC Basel thump Zurich 5-1
Mohamed El-Nenny made a brilliant cameo appearance last night as FC Basel extended their lead at the top of the Swiss Super League to 10 points with a convincing 5-1 win over FC Zurich. Ahmed Hamoudi was not named in the squad.
The league leaders took the lead 24 minutes into the match with the in-form Shkëlzen Gashi converting a deep corner at the back post. Gashi, who has been in fantastic goal scoring form, was red carded in the 44th minute, with FC Zurich having had a man sent off six minutes prior.
A second goal for FC Basel came in the 44th minute, with Cameroon-born Embolo tapping home a rebound off the crossbar to give the Swiss giants an almost unassailable lead going into the second half.
With barely a minute and a half gone in the second half, Embolo sealed the game after capitalising on some slack defending to score his second and FC Basel’s third of the game through the legs of the oncoming keeper.
El-Nenny was substituted on in the 58th minute, replacing Delgado who had put in a tidy shift. In the 70th minute FC Zurich scored their first for the afternoon, with Etoundi pulling one back for the visitors, emphatically finishing a square ball into the top left hand corner of the net.
It was mere consolation though, as six minutes later Embolo had his hat-trick, latching on to a El-Nenny through ball and finishing past the keeper cooly to make it 4-1.
The rout was completed in the 88th minute, with El-Nenny putting pressure on FC Zurich’s Djimsiti, who comically finished past his own keeper after a poor back pass to make it 5-1.
FC Basel now sit on 61 points in the Swiss Super League standings, 10 points clear of second placed Young Boys. Basel’s next league game is away to FC Sion on the 19th of April.