Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Emad Meteb upset over Garrido snub
Meteb was dirched by Garrido for the second game in a row, having missed Al Ahly’s 5-0 thrashing of Assiouty Sport on Thursday.
“This is a situation that I have never encountered in my life,” the veteran player said in televised statements.
Ahly manager Juan Carlos Garrido didn’t include Meteb who isn’t suffering injury in his 19-man squad for technical reasons. The team’s striker Ahmed Abdel-Zaher was also missing the fixture as a result of technical decision-making.
“I have faced a lot in my life, but I never passed by such a situation, to be physically ready and in a period of time where I score a lot but not called for the match,” Meteb said.
He said that his performance in the team’s game against Ismaily in the league might have not been good, however, he doesn’t see it as a reason for exclusion from the squad.
“This is something that happens to all the players,” Meteb explained.
The Egyptian international said that he wasn’t informed by the reasons behind his exclusion from the squad. He added that he wouldn’t accept any justification as well.
“We have an important game against Moghreb Tétouan and I am not called up? I am supposed to be in the squad, I don’t know what’s happening with me in Al Ahly,” Meteb continued.
He added that he didn’t commit any mistakes and never talked about the issue before these statements.
“I always stay silent out of respect to Al Ahly football director Alaa Abdel-Sadek,” the Egypt international concluded.