Al Ahly Al Ittihad Al Masry Arab Contractors Gouna ENPPI Hodood Ismaily Petrojet Smouha Wadi Degla Zamalek Arsenal FC Basel Hull City AS Roma Lierse SK SC Braga Nacional Madeira Sporting Lisbon

Port Said massacre: 11 sentenced to death

By
Posted on April 19, 2015

74 fil gana Port Said
Port Said’s Criminal Court sentenced on the 19th of April 11 defendants to death over murder charges in the 2012 stadium massacre retrial.

The judge referred the defendants to the Grand Mufti to issue an opinion on the sentence, which is a preliminary step before the verdict can be finalized.

There is a total of 73 defendants in the case, including nine officials from Port Said’s Security Directorate and three officials from Al-Masry club.

Verdicts for the rest of the defendants is expected on May 30. The court also placed a media gag order on the case until the final verdict comes out.

In January 2013, the court originally handed out death sentences to 21 of the defendants. Other defendants were given sentences ranging from one year to life in prison in March of the same year. The court had also acquitted 28 defendants, including seven security officials.

However, Egypt’s Court of Cassation accepted a prosecution appeal and ordered a retrial in February 2014. The retrial decision included the previously acquitted 28 defendants as well.

In February 2012, 72 of fans had been killed at the end of a football game between Al-Ahly and Al Masry in the at the Port Said stadium. The case known in the media as the Port Said massacre is the worst disaster in the country’s illustrious football history.

0 Comments

Leave a Reply