Egypt international Mohamed Elneny has praised Mali, describing them as a tough...
- Mali coach: We were under pressure against Egypt
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
- El-Hadary made history as Mali held Egypt to goalless draw
- Ayew scores from the spot as Ghana down Uganda
- Ehab Allam: Hull City have never been a ‘selling club’ under our ownership
- RELIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
Salah features as Hellas Verona stun Fiorentina at home
The hosts started the game on the right foot, applying pressure and containing the opposition effectively. However, the visitors nearly scored the first goal of the night in the fourth minute, but Bosko Jankovic’s header was denied by Norberto Neto.
Following that chance, Fiorentina took control of the game and had numerous attempts on goal. Alessandro Diamanti posed the first real danger on Hellas Verona’s goal but his ball sailed wide. Shortly after Diamanti’s chance, Andrea Lazzari’s long-range shot came so close to goal, but it was deflected away by the defense. The hosts’ last chance of the first half was Alberto Gilardino’s header, which was pushed away by the Hellas Verona keeper.
In the second half, the Fiorentina players struggled to break through the opposition’s defense. Mohamed Salah was subbed on in the 62nd minute for Khouma Babacar, who only played five minutes before getting injured.
The home side was awarded a penalty in the 66th minute, but Alessandro Diamanti wasn’t able to convert from the penalty spot as the Hellas Verona’s keeper produced an impressive save.
La Viola pushed up in numbers, but the players were unsuccessful in scoring the first goal of the game. French-Moroccan Mounir Obbadi broke the hearts of the Fiorentina supporters in the 89th minute after the ball fell to his feet when Neto failed to get hold of the ball.
Fiorentina currently stand in 6th place of the Serie A standing, a position that takes them to the Europa League qualifications. La Viola’s next league game will be played at home against Cagilari next Sunday.