Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
VIDEO: Al-Ahli Jeddah cruise to AFC CL knockout stage
Mohamed Abdel-Shafy played a full 90 minutes as Al-Ahli Jeddah progressed to the Round of 16 in the AFC Champions League following a 2-1 home win over Al Ahli Dubai.
Egyptian left-back Abdel-Shafy, and his teammates started the game with a strong will to grab all three points. In the 5th minute, Al Ahli Jeddah had their first shot on goal from inside the box, but the opposition’s keeper saved the ball acrobatically away from goal.
The first 15 minutes were dominated by the hosts, Ahli Jeddah, but the game remained scoreless. However, Al Ahli Dubai’s Everton Ribeiro scored the first goal of the night with a powerful shot from outside the box. The Brazilian midfielder cut to his preferred left foot before striking a powerful shot that drifted past the keeper’s left side.
Al Ahli Dubai began to take control of the tempo of the game, but both teams’ shots on goal were even nonetheless. In the 38th minute of the first half, Abdel-Shafy produced a marvelous shot that was tipped away from goal by the opposition’s keeper. The first-half came to an end with the visitors ahead 0-1.
When the second-half kicked-off, Al Ahli Dubai had more possession of the ball. However, in the 65th minute, Majed Hassan of Al Ahli Dubai was sent off for a second yellow card.
Al-Ahli Jeddah took full advantage of the extra man and suddenly took hold of the game. Just 12 minutes after the incident, Abdel-Shafy produced one of his unique runs down the left flank before providing a decent cross that was cleared by the defense. The ball returned to Al Ahli Jeddah’s Amir Fahad Kurdy who crossed the ball to Muhanned Aseri, who headed the ball into the net.
In the fifth minute of stoppage time, Egypt international Abdel-Shafy again produced a wonderful cross that was met by Osvaldo, who brought the ball down to Bruno Cesar, who volleyed the ball into Al Ahli Dubai’s net to clinch an important victory for the hosts.
With this win, Al Ahli Jeddah maintained their place at the top of Group D (four points clear of Nasaf Qarshi FC) and progressed to the knockout stages of the AFC Champions League. However, Al Ahli Jeddah still have one more match to play before the conclusion of the group stages. The game will take place on May 5th against Nasaf Qarshi FC.
Watch: Al Ahli Jeddah 2-1 Al Ahli Dubai