Al Ahly defender Saad Samir commented on the club’s match against Bidvest Wits in the...
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
- Massimo Busacca tutors Egyptian officials on video assistance technology
- Volleyball: Red Devils beat Ahli Benghazi 3-1 in African Club Championship
- Former Belgium coach Marc Wilmots appointed Ivory Coast manager
- Salah’s AS Roma announce United States summer tour
VIDEO: Zamalek net two in win over Ittihad of Alexandria
Zamalek XI: Ahmed El-Shennawy, Omar Gaber, Mohamed Koffi, Islam Gamal, Ahmed Samir, Ahmed Tawfik (Mohamed Shaaban), Ibrahim Salah, Moruf Youssef (Tarek Hamed), Ahmed Eid (Mostafa Fathy), Bassem Morsi, Khaled Kamar.
Ittihad of Alexandria XI: Ali Farag, Abdelrahman Farouk, Mohamed Bazooka, Mohamed Samir, Hani Said (Hossam Hassan), Islam Saleh, Ramzi Khaled, Fathy Mabrouk (Mohamed Gomaa) Akram Abdo Rabo, Amr Warda, Mohamed Hamdy.
The first half was balanced but Omar Gaber scored the first goal in the game with 17 minutes on the clock with an impressive sprint past Ittihad’s defence, before curling his shot in the roof of the net.
The Alexandrians had a myriad chances to score, Akram Abd Rabo’s header going inches wide of the post, much to relief of Jesualdo Ferreira’s men.
Mohamed Hamdy was next to squander his chance when he latched onto a loose ball before fluffing his finish from close range.
Another Abd Rabo header caused Zamalek danger later on, but this time the forward’s header slammed against the post and went out for a White goal-kick.
Ittihad tried a lot to level the score after the restart, and came close to doing so but there was no one on the end of Fathi Mabrouk’s perfect cross.
Bassem Morsi killed them with a fantastic header on the 65th minute after latching onto Ahmed Samir’s cross to direct a header past Ali Farag.
The game cooled off from that point, with Zamalek playing to see out the result, to return to Meet Okba with all three points.
The win thus puts Zamalek eight points clear of arch-rivals Al Ahly who sit in third.