Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
Helmy Toulan: We are seeking to reach as far as possible
Smouha coach Helmy Toulan expressed his gratitude to the club’s board and their continuous support after he managed to lead the team reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals.
Toulan’s comments came after Smouha eliminated DR Congo’s AC Leopards with a 2-1 aggregate score in a dramatic game in which his side scored the winning goal in the stoppage time.
“Yes, it’s such an achievement. We are seeking to reach as far as possible in the competition. We are highly supported by the club’s board,” Toulan told Reuters.
Smouha were considered by many as underdogs to the more experienced Congolese side, especially after the 1-0 defeat the Alexandrian side suffered in the away game. However, they were able to qualify with a goal scored by Salah Amin in the 90th minute.
“I didn’t expect we could score in the stoppage time because the opponent’s tactics were largely defensive and all my last minutes substitutes were for the penalty shootouts,” added Toulan.
Toulan also showed determination to prove Egyptian football worth after the recent disappointing results.
“We have solid determination to deliver a performance representative of Egyptian football and to prove its worth after some doubted our abilities,” Toulan explained.
It is worth noting that Smouha, the runner-ups of the last Egyptian league, are currently lying in the 16th position in the league table.