KingFut covers all the action as Egypt take on Mali in their...
- LIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
Helmy Toulan: We are seeking to reach as far as possible
Smouha coach Helmy Toulan expressed his gratitude to the club’s board and their continuous support after he managed to lead the team reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals.
Toulan’s comments came after Smouha eliminated DR Congo’s AC Leopards with a 2-1 aggregate score in a dramatic game in which his side scored the winning goal in the stoppage time.
“Yes, it’s such an achievement. We are seeking to reach as far as possible in the competition. We are highly supported by the club’s board,” Toulan told Reuters.
Smouha were considered by many as underdogs to the more experienced Congolese side, especially after the 1-0 defeat the Alexandrian side suffered in the away game. However, they were able to qualify with a goal scored by Salah Amin in the 90th minute.
“I didn’t expect we could score in the stoppage time because the opponent’s tactics were largely defensive and all my last minutes substitutes were for the penalty shootouts,” added Toulan.
Toulan also showed determination to prove Egyptian football worth after the recent disappointing results.
“We have solid determination to deliver a performance representative of Egyptian football and to prove its worth after some doubted our abilities,” Toulan explained.
It is worth noting that Smouha, the runner-ups of the last Egyptian league, are currently lying in the 16th position in the league table.