Mohamed Salah came in as a second half substitute but could not help...
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
- Egypt’s assistant coach says Pharaohs won’t rely on history
- Sada Cruzeiro beat El-Gaish in Volleyball Club World Championship
- Sundowns manager Pitso Mosimane believes it’s not over yet
- Mohamed Zidan satisfied with 2017 AFCON Draw
- Osama Nabih: Ghana’s match is the most important in history of Egyptian football
Smouha progresses to CAF CL group stages
The Alexandria based club proceeded to the group stages of the CAF Champions League for the first time in their history following a marvelous comeback against AC Leopards de Dolisie of the Republic of Congo to advance on aggregate 2-1.
Smouha Sporting Club was able to knock Ahli Tripoli out of the preliminary round back in February through a remarkable penalty shootout that ended 5-3. In the 1/16th final round, Smouha cruised past Enyimba FC 2-1 on aggregate. Smouha was then drawn against AC Leopards de Dolisie in the 1/8th final round.
In the first leg, which was played in Dolisie, Smouha suffered a 1-0 defeat. The sole goal came in the 31st minute through Rudy Guelord Ndey.
The return leg was played in the Alexandria Stadium in Alexandria. The hosts offset the 1-0 away defeat by scoring two goals in a remarkable game.
Ahmed Shokry opened the scoring for Smouha in the 24th minute of the game through a well-placed direct freekick. The first-half ended with the hosts 1-0 ahead. The regulation time of the second-half saw no goals from both sides. Right when both managers were preparing for extra time, Hany El-Egeizy headed the ball into the oppositions net one minute into stoppage time.
The group stages draw will take place in Egypt on Tuesday the 5th of May. Smouha will be making their first appearance in the Premier African Club competition and will be the only club representing Egypt in the group stages following Al Ahly’s failure to overcome Maghreb Tetouan in tonight’s other qualifiers.