Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
Hopes of Cairo derby in Confederation Cup qualifiers eliminated
The eight teams that were eliminated from the CAF Champions League round of 16 are set to join the Confederation Cup where they will face the eight teams that qualified for the Confederation Cup second round of 16.
Zamalek have qualified for the next round of the Confederation Cup after their win over Morocco’s FUS 3-2 on aggregate on Sunday night.
Al Ahly, however, were eliminated from the CAF Champions League after their loss on Saturday night against Morocco’s Moghreb Tetouan on penalties after their 1-1 aggregate draw.
The 16 clubs have been divided into four pots based on their rankings.
Pot A contains the top-ranked teams that were eliminated from the CAF Champions League. They will face teams from pot B, which contains lowest ranking teams that qualified from 1/8th round of the Confederation Cup qualifiers.
Pot C contains top-ranked teams that qualified from 1/8th round of Confederation Cup qualifiers. They will face teams from pot D, which contains the lowest ranking teams eliminated from CAF Champions League.
First seed: Al-Ahly, CS Sfaxien (Tunisia), Esperance (Tunisia) and AC Leopards (Congo).
Second seed: AS Kaloum (Guinea), Sanga Balende (DR Congo), Stade Malien (Mali) and Raja Club Athletic (Morocco).
Third seed: Zamalek, Orlando Pirates (South Africa), AS Vita (DR Congo) and Etoile Sportive du Sahel (Tunisia).
Fourth seed: Club Africain (Tunisia), Hearts of Oak (Ghana), Warri Wolves (Nigeria) and ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire).
According to the above-mentioned system, Al Ahly will face any opponent from the fourth seed and Zamalek will face any opponent from the second seed.
The draw is set to be held in Cairo on Tuesday morning.