Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger made a round up on the team’s injured...
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
- Egypt features in list of referees for 2017 AFCON
- Anderlecht coach: Trezeguet is developing well away from the spotlight
Hopes of Cairo derby in Confederation Cup qualifiers eliminated
The eight teams that were eliminated from the CAF Champions League round of 16 are set to join the Confederation Cup where they will face the eight teams that qualified for the Confederation Cup second round of 16.
Zamalek have qualified for the next round of the Confederation Cup after their win over Morocco’s FUS 3-2 on aggregate on Sunday night.
Al Ahly, however, were eliminated from the CAF Champions League after their loss on Saturday night against Morocco’s Moghreb Tetouan on penalties after their 1-1 aggregate draw.
The 16 clubs have been divided into four pots based on their rankings.
Pot A contains the top-ranked teams that were eliminated from the CAF Champions League. They will face teams from pot B, which contains lowest ranking teams that qualified from 1/8th round of the Confederation Cup qualifiers.
Pot C contains top-ranked teams that qualified from 1/8th round of Confederation Cup qualifiers. They will face teams from pot D, which contains the lowest ranking teams eliminated from CAF Champions League.
First seed: Al-Ahly, CS Sfaxien (Tunisia), Esperance (Tunisia) and AC Leopards (Congo).
Second seed: AS Kaloum (Guinea), Sanga Balende (DR Congo), Stade Malien (Mali) and Raja Club Athletic (Morocco).
Third seed: Zamalek, Orlando Pirates (South Africa), AS Vita (DR Congo) and Etoile Sportive du Sahel (Tunisia).
Fourth seed: Club Africain (Tunisia), Hearts of Oak (Ghana), Warri Wolves (Nigeria) and ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire).
According to the above-mentioned system, Al Ahly will face any opponent from the fourth seed and Zamalek will face any opponent from the second seed.
The draw is set to be held in Cairo on Tuesday morning.