Arsenal and Hull City‘s English Football (EFL) Cup Quarter-Final opponents have been...
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad to face Smouha
- Preview: MO Bejaia look to snatch CAF Confederation Cup from continental giants TP Mazembe
- HANDBALL: Al Ahly top their group, qualify to quarterfinals in African championship
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
Preston edge Sam Morsy’s Chesterfield in playoffs
Preston North End ended the season 20 points above Chesterfield, in 3rd place, but were unsuccessful in clinching automatic promotion over Bristol City and MK Dons. On the other hand, Chesterfield ended the season in 6th place, which is the last promotion playoff place.
Egypt-eligible midfielder Sam Morsy played the full 90 minutes and captained his team on the pitch.
Preston opened the scoring six minutes into the first-half through Jermaine Beckford, who chipped the ball over Chesterfield’s keeper. Following the goal, Chesterfield picked up the pace and the remainder of the first-half was marked with chances on both ends of the field. In the 21st minute, Sam Morsy attempted a right-footed shot that drifted wide.
Sam Morsy’s teammates dominated the second-half, but failed to find an equalizer. In their search for supremacy, Chesterfield enjoyed 65% of ball possession and had 20 shots on goal (4 on target), compared to Preston’s 11 (3) shots.
In the 58th minute, Sam Morsy played a ball to Jay O’Shea, whose shot went off target. Morsy almost snatched his team the equalizer in the second minute of stoppage time, but his shot from inside the box was blocked.
The second leg of the semi-final will be played in Preston’s Deepdale Stadium on Sunday, May 10.