Egypt international Mohamed Salah scored in his side’s 4-1 victory over Torino...
- Mohamed Salah scores in Roma’s 4-1 win against Torino
- VIDEO: Keeper Busca’s heroics help Al Masry advance in Confederation Cup
- VIDEO: Al Ahly return to winning ways after beating Arab Contractors
- Zamalek to face Nigeria’s Enugu Rangers in CAF Champions League
- Former Al Ahly manager Garrido sacked by Al-Ettifaq
- VIDEO: Smouha edge Maqassa in seven-goal thriller
- Zambia announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Shikabala excluded from Zamalek squad against Tala’a El-Gaish
- Smouha to face Kenya’s Ulinzi Star in CAF Confederation Cup
- Ahmed Yasser scores first goal in debut with Al Mina’a
Preston edge Sam Morsy’s Chesterfield in playoffs
Preston North End ended the season 20 points above Chesterfield, in 3rd place, but were unsuccessful in clinching automatic promotion over Bristol City and MK Dons. On the other hand, Chesterfield ended the season in 6th place, which is the last promotion playoff place.
Preston opened the scoring six minutes into the first-half through Jermaine Beckford, who chipped the ball over Chesterfield’s keeper. Following the goal, Chesterfield picked up the pace and the remainder of the first-half was marked with chances on both ends of the field. In the 21st minute, Sam Morsy attempted a right-footed shot that drifted wide.
Sam Morsy’s teammates dominated the second-half, but failed to find an equalizer. In their search for supremacy, Chesterfield enjoyed 65% of ball possession and had 20 shots on goal (4 on target), compared to Preston’s 11 (3) shots.
In the 58th minute, Sam Morsy played a ball to Jay O’Shea, whose shot went off target. Morsy almost snatched his team the equalizer in the second minute of stoppage time, but his shot from inside the box was blocked.
The second leg of the semi-final will be played in Preston’s Deepdale Stadium on Sunday, May 10.