KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Chesterfield lose in Championship playoff semi-final
Chesterfield lost 2-0 the second leg of their Championship playoff semi-final against Preston North End at the Deepdale.
The Spireites attempts of playing Championship football next season came to a halt after losing 3-0 to Preston North End and 4-0 on aggregate.
Chesterfield were unlucky to lose the first leg 1-0 at the Proact Stadium after a good performance three days prior.
Sam Morsy who started and captained in the first leg also did the same in the second starting in his usual holding midfield position.
The 23-year-old Egypt-eligble midfielder had an excellent game breaking up play and showed composure as he managed to wriggle out of tight situations on many occasions.
Chesterfield conceded the first goal of the game when Jermaine Beckford took his first chance of the game very well by half volleying from the 6 yard box beating Joe Murphy.
Preston then doubled their lead in the 62nd minute when Joe Garner slotted home a penalty after Daniel Johnson was brought down by the Spireites goalkeeper taking the aggregate to 3-0.
Chesterfield had a great chance to pull one back with Jay O’Shea’s shot from the edge of the box rattled off the post.
In the 86th minute Jermaine Beckford scored a phenomenal goal with a chipped strike from the halfway line beating Chesterfield’s goalkeeper Murphy who had a poor game.
All in all Preston had the fewer chances but were more clinical and more dominant in possession.