Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi spoke about Egypt, his visit in...
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
Abdel-Shafy’s Ahli loses the league to Al Nasr
Ahli Jeddah’s chances to win the league were extinguished in the 25th fixture of the league when they drew 2-2 with Al Taawon. On the other hand, Al Nasr were able to exploit Ahli’s slip by beating Al Hilal 1-0 to go four points clear at the top with one fixture to go.
That four point gap remained the same following Al Ahli’s 1-1 draw with Ittihad in the Jeddah derby, and Al Nasr’s 0-0 draw with Al Shabab in a game that saw 3 red cards. These result saw Al Nasr in first place with 64 points, Al Ahli in second with 60 points, Al Hilal in third with 54 points, and Ittihad in fourth with 52 points.
Mohamed Abdel-Shafy started in left-back position for Ahli in the Jeddah derby, which saw a goalless first-half but a thrilling final 10 minutes. Ittihad broke the deadlock in the 84th minute of the game through Fahad Al-Muwallad. However, Salman Muwashar equalized for Al Ahli in the 90th minute to kill Ittihad’s hopes of finishing in third place.
In a head to head comparison, Al Ahli Jeddah are on top of Al Nasr Riyadh having beaten them 2-1 and 3-4 in their two clashes this season. However, the Jeddah-based club failed to capitalize.
Al Ahli Jeddah are the first team in the history of the Saudi League to not lose a single game, yet fail to win the league.
It is currently unknown where Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will be playing next season as Zamalek SC plan on selling the player amid interest from Ittihad. It is well worth noting that Ittihad will not be playing in the AFC Champions League next season as they finished in fourth place, while Al Ahli have already guaranteed qualification.