Egypt’s Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica defeats Braga one nil...
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
- VIDEO: Warda assists twice in PAOK 4-0 win over Veria
- Mohamed Salah scores in Roma’s 4-1 win against Torino
- VIDEO: Keeper Busca’s heroics help Al Masry advance in Confederation Cup
- VIDEO: Al Ahly return to winning ways after beating Arab Contractors
- Zamalek to face Nigeria’s Enugu Rangers in CAF Champions League
- Former Al Ahly manager Garrido sacked by Al-Ettifaq
- VIDEO: Smouha edge Maqassa in seven-goal thriller
- Zambia announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Shikabala excluded from Zamalek squad against Tala’a El-Gaish
VIDEO: Zizo assists in Lierse loss
Lierse suffered a 1-2 home defeat to OH Leuven to drop to 2nd place in the Jupiler Pro League relegation play-offs despite dominating all aspects of the game.
Luck was not on Lierse SK’s side in their game against OH Leuven. Lierse had more than 20 chances on goal but only scored once, while the defending OH Leuven scored twice from two chances. Lierse squandered their chance to secure their place in the Juplier Pro League with that defeat.
The home side dominated the game from kick-off and was able to score 9 minutes into the first half through a corner kick. Zizo floated a corner kick into the box and Ramy Bensebaini got to it before Leuven’s keeper to head it into the net. In the 26th minute, Elgenawy was subbed off and Souleymane Diomande came on. On the half-hour mark, Thomas Azevedo won Leuven a penalty kick that was successfully converted by John Rostock. After the goal, Lierse continued dominating the match, creating chances, but were unable to change the scoreline. It was 1-1 at half-time.
In the second half, the game picture didn’t change as OH Leuven still “parked the bus” and Lierse continued their domination. OH Leuven goalkeeper, Logan Bailly, was the man of the match in the second half. Lierse found it difficult to break up Leuven’s defense and started to push forward, leaving gaps in defense. In the 72nd minute, Kostovski acrobatically scored Leuven’s second goal from a defensive error. Bailly produced numerous brilliant saves throughout the game, but when he failed, the crossbar came to his rescue. In the 77th minute, Etien Velikonja’s free kick hit the crossbar.
The game ended in despair for the home side as the score remained 1-2 for Leuven at the final whistle. Lierse enjoyed 70% of ball possession but weren’t able to win the game.
Following this game, Lierse fell to second place with six points, while OH Leuven topped the play-offs group with seven points.Eupen clinched three points (four points total) in the other match of the group to relegate Lommel United to the lower division with 0 points.
Lierse will get a chance to redeem themselves as they will visit OH Leuven this Sunday, May 17.
Watch the game’s goals below: