Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Chaos in Congo as Zamalek lose 1-0 to Sanga Balende
Zamalek XI: Ahmed El-Shennawy; Hazem Eman, Ali Gabr, Mohamed Koffi, Hamada Tolba; Ibrahim Salah, Ahmed Tawfik , Tarek Hamed ; Mostafa Fathy, Ahmed Ali, Bassem Morsi.
TP Mazembe president Moïse Katumbi called on his club’s fans to flood the stands to support Sanga Balende in a game that wasn’t aired on Egyptian nor Congolese TV, a decision that spread rumours among Zamalek fans and Egyptian media that the referee was bribed.
It must be noted that match airing problems are usual in Congo as the country’s security services are very strict with their broadcasting rules.
Sanga Balende were able to score an early goal after Zamalek’s defensive line failed to clear a corner.
Ahmed Tawfik then wasted the White Knight’s most dangerous chance of the game as he his one-on-one finish went wide.
Zamalek had two goals disallowed in the second half. One after a forward run from Ayman Hefny who slid the ball to Ahmed Tawfik and another through Bassem Morsi, with the latter apparently flagged offside despite coming from a corner.
Zamalek board member Hany Zada said that his side’s goals were free of any flaws that would prevent counting them. According to Mr. Hany, No reasons were given to why both goals were disallowed.
This is Zamalek’s first defeat in 2015 and their first in the competition. The second leg will take place on the first of June in Egypt.
UPDATE: Zamalek’s bus stoned as the players depart the stadium.