Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Egypt friendly with Burundi cancelled
The Egyptian FA has decided to cancel the friendly with Burundi which was scheduled to take place in Alexandria this Thursday, the 21st of May.
The cancellation came among speculation of issues concerning the travels of the Burundi National team due to political unrest currently engulfing parts of the South East African country. The Egyptian Football Association released a statement confirming the speculation stating; “The EFA has received a call from Egypt’s ambassador in Burundi to notify the National Team that the plane carrying the Burundi team has been cancelled due to political conditions and turmoil. Airspace and the main airport has been shut down as a result of this.”
Following the news of the unrest, the EFA officially cancelled the scheduled friendly after consultation between Gamal Allam, current President of the EFA and Hector Cuper. The match was due to be played as a warm up for Egypt’s upcoming 2017 African Cup of Nations Qualifier against Tanzania in June.
National team staff have also been in touch with Zamalek officials following the confirmed cancellation to notify the Cairo giants that players who had been called up did not need to make their way to the training camp following their loss against Sanga Balende in the CAF Confederations Cup.