Mohamed Salah scored a brace for his Roma side, who comfortably handled...
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
Egypt friendly with Burundi cancelled
The Egyptian FA has decided to cancel the friendly with Burundi which was scheduled to take place in Alexandria this Thursday, the 21st of May.
The cancellation came among speculation of issues concerning the travels of the Burundi National team due to political unrest currently engulfing parts of the South East African country. The Egyptian Football Association released a statement confirming the speculation stating; “The EFA has received a call from Egypt’s ambassador in Burundi to notify the National Team that the plane carrying the Burundi team has been cancelled due to political conditions and turmoil. Airspace and the main airport has been shut down as a result of this.”
Following the news of the unrest, the EFA officially cancelled the scheduled friendly after consultation between Gamal Allam, current President of the EFA and Hector Cuper. The match was due to be played as a warm up for Egypt’s upcoming 2017 African Cup of Nations Qualifier against Tanzania in June.
National team staff have also been in touch with Zamalek officials following the confirmed cancellation to notify the Cairo giants that players who had been called up did not need to make their way to the training camp following their loss against Sanga Balende in the CAF Confederations Cup.