Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Egypt’s women keep Olympic hopes alive after 1-1 draw against Ghana
Egypt women’s national football team managed to keep their Olympic dream alive as they drew 1-1 against Ghana on Saturday.
Egypt’s women clinched a 1-1 draw against the Black Queens of Ghana in the first leg of the Olympic games qualifiers in Cairo.
Ghana managed to spice things up early after scoring a goal from a corner kick, just 14 minutes after kickoff. Nothing changed much during the second half until Egypt’s striker Engy Ahmed successfully converted a penalty kick into the net, to level the game. Both teams failed to produce further goals until the referee blew the final whistle ending the game with a 1-1 draw between the African giants.
Egypt’s women team manager Mohamed Saad expressed his satisfaction with the result. He said he hopes they could continue their great display in the second leg at Ghana’s capital Accra.
“I’m satisfied with the result. The players did well and played with eagerness,” Saad said.
“We will go to Accra and fight for a positive result and a place in the 2016 Olympic games,” he added.
Saad explained that his target will be not to lose Accra’s game in order to guarantee themselves a spot at the next round of qualifiers.
Egypt will travel to Accra to face Ghana on the 30th of May in the second leg of the qualifiers.
It is worth mentioning that the winner on aggregate after the second leg will advance to the final round of the qualifiers to face either Cameroon or Guinea. The winner of this match will qualify directly to the Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro .