Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Mohamed Abdel-Shafy plays 90′ as Al Ahli exit Asian Champions League
Al Ahli’s 2-1 win was not enough to secure the Saudi Arabian club a place in the AFC Asian Champions League quarter-finals, after losing 1-0 in Iran in the first leg. Naft Tehran managed to advance to the next round after ending the tie 2-2 on aggregate, thanks to the away goal rule that secured them a place between Asia’s best eight.
The Iranian side managed to spice things up early as their Brazilian defender Leonardo Padovani managed to convert a perfect cross, which came from a set piece, into the net, just 31 minutes after kick-off.
Naft Tehran’s lead didn’t last long as Al Ahli’s top scorer Omar Al-Somah scored a fast equalizer after a great assist by Hussein Al-Mogahwi.
Just two minutes before half-time, Al-Somah managed to double his tally after an unstoppable header which hit the woodwork and went into the goal. Both teams failed to produce more goals until the end of the game, despite missing a handful of dangerous chances in front of goal.
It is worth noting that Al Ahli finished in second place in the Saudi Professional League, even though they didn’t lose a single game throughout their campaign, with Zamalek loanee Abdel-Shafy playing a crucial role in defense. They came four points behind the champions Al Nassr.
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS BELOW: