Roma grabbed a fantastic 3-1 away win over Inter Milan at the...
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
- EFA announce date for Arab Club Championship draw
- Al Ahly and Wadi Degla fined following league match controversy
- Karim Nedved confirms receiving an offer from La Liga club
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
Abou-Rida appointed chairman of U20 WC comittee
Egypt’s Hany Abou-Rida was appointed as the chairman of the organizing committee for the FIFA U-20 World Cup held in New Zealand.
Abou-Rida, who used to hold the tournament’s deputy chairman position under Jeffrey Webb, was appointed as the head of the FIFA U-20 World Cup committee following the arrest of Webb over corruption allegations.
Webb was one of seven high-ranking FIFA officials arrested in a corruption probe. According to The Guardian, 10 executive FIFA members, including Abou-Rida will be questioned over possible “criminal mismanagement and money laundering” in regards to votes resulting in the location of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in Russia and Qatar.
Abou-Rida’s appointment decision came on Saturday during the executive committee’s first meeting after the re-election of the FIFA president Sepp Blatter for the fifth consecutive time.
It is worth mentioning that Abou-Rida is the first FIFA executive committee member to occupy this position during the past 40 years, as the FIFA vice-presidents usually handled it.
Abou-Rida will begin his duties immediately starting from Sunday, especially since the U-20 World Cup is currently being held in New Zealand from 30 May until 20 June.