Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Abou-Rida appointed chairman of U20 WC comittee
Egypt’s Hany Abou-Rida was appointed as the chairman of the organizing committee for the FIFA U-20 World Cup held in New Zealand.
Abou-Rida, who used to hold the tournament’s deputy chairman position under Jeffrey Webb, was appointed as the head of the FIFA U-20 World Cup committee following the arrest of Webb over corruption allegations.
Webb was one of seven high-ranking FIFA officials arrested in a corruption probe. According to The Guardian, 10 executive FIFA members, including Abou-Rida will be questioned over possible “criminal mismanagement and money laundering” in regards to votes resulting in the location of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in Russia and Qatar.
Abou-Rida’s appointment decision came on Saturday during the executive committee’s first meeting after the re-election of the FIFA president Sepp Blatter for the fifth consecutive time.
It is worth mentioning that Abou-Rida is the first FIFA executive committee member to occupy this position during the past 40 years, as the FIFA vice-presidents usually handled it.
Abou-Rida will begin his duties immediately starting from Sunday, especially since the U-20 World Cup is currently being held in New Zealand from 30 May until 20 June.