Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Abou-Rida appointed chairman of U20 WC comittee
Egypt’s Hany Abou-Rida was appointed as the chairman of the organizing committee for the FIFA U-20 World Cup held in New Zealand.
Abou-Rida, who used to hold the tournament’s deputy chairman position under Jeffrey Webb, was appointed as the head of the FIFA U-20 World Cup committee following the arrest of Webb over corruption allegations.
Webb was one of seven high-ranking FIFA officials arrested in a corruption probe. According to The Guardian, 10 executive FIFA members, including Abou-Rida will be questioned over possible “criminal mismanagement and money laundering” in regards to votes resulting in the location of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in Russia and Qatar.
Abou-Rida’s appointment decision came on Saturday during the executive committee’s first meeting after the re-election of the FIFA president Sepp Blatter for the fifth consecutive time.
It is worth mentioning that Abou-Rida is the first FIFA executive committee member to occupy this position during the past 40 years, as the FIFA vice-presidents usually handled it.
Abou-Rida will begin his duties immediately starting from Sunday, especially since the U-20 World Cup is currently being held in New Zealand from 30 May until 20 June.