Lierse football club announced on their website that the team’s midfielder Amr...
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
8 Pharaohs abroad and 12 locals selected for friendly & AFCON qualifier
Egypt manager Héctor Cúper has made his selection of players for the Malawi friendly on June 8 and for the first AFCON 2017 qualifier on June 14 against Tanzania.
Eight Pharaohs based abroad made the cut, including essential players like Mohamed Salah, Ahmed Fathi, Elmohamady and Abdel-Shafy, in addition to two defenders who are not seeing a lot of game time at the moment: Hegazy and Rami Rabia. Lierse’s young left-back Karim Hafez joins the national team for the first time.
Basel’s Mohamed El-Nenny and Ahmed Hamoudi will miss the Malawi friendly as they still have a club commitment to fulfill when they play the Swiss Cup final on June 7. El-Nenny is expected to then join the squad for the Tanzania game. Koka, who recently signed for Benfica, misses out due to injury. Nacional’s Ali Ghazal is omitted for technical reasons.
From the Egyptian League, Cúper has again called up all but one of the players he had recently selected for the Burundi friendly, which was cancelled. These include Ismaily’s Amr El-Sulaya and ENPPI attacking trio Mahmoud Qaoud, Kahraba and Salah Ashour.
In addition, 21-year-old Mohamed Ashraf, 22-year-old Mohamed Awad and 23-year-old Mohamed Hamdy received their first national team call-ups.
Al Ahly and Zamalek players will be announced this weekend following their commitments in the CAF Confederation Cup.
Goalkeepers: Ali Lotfy (ENPPI), Mohamed Awad (Al Masry).
Defenders: Ahmed Hegazy (Perugia), Rami Rabia (Sporting Lisbon), Ahmed Fathi (Umm Salal), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull City), Mohamed Abdel-Shafy (Al Ahli Jeddah), Karim Hafez (Lierse), Ragab Nabil (Wadi Degla).
Midfielders: Saleh Gomaa (Nacional), Amr El-Sulaya (Ismaily), Mahmoud Qaoud, Mahmoud Kahraba (ENPPI), Mohamed Ashraf (Tala’a El-Gaish).
Forwards: Mohamed Salah (Fiorentina), Salah Ashour (ENPPI), Mohamed Salem (Arab Contractors), Ahmed Hassan Mekki (Haras El-Hodood), Mohamed ‘Dodo’ El-Gabas (Wadi Degla), Mohamed Hamdy (Ittihad of Alexandria).