The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
UPDATE: Rio Ave release statement denying Koka failed medical
Rio Ave have released an official statement denying reports suggesting that Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ failed medicals with Benfica.
The young Egyptian striker, who has been playing his trade at Portuguese Primeira Liga side Rio Ave, was due to join Benfica at the close of the season after some strong performances for his side.
The youngster has been on the books at Rio Ave after a 2012 move from Al Ahly, playing 35 games last season, finishing up as top goalscorer for his side, scoring 15 goals and providing a further two goal assists in the process.
Ahmed Hassan initially failed his Benfica medical in May following the end of the domestic season, with an underlying heart condition given as the reason for the negative test. Benfica, still keen on signing the tall forward, decided to retake the tests following meetings with specialists to correct the problem.
Reports in Portugal claimed earlier today that Koka failed the second medical, again citing his underlying heart condition; however, Rio Ave released a statement on their official Facebook page denying these reports.
“The athlete Hassan returned only yesterday evening, from vacation, having traveled from Cairo to Porto, via Madrid.
“The athlete was today in Vila do Conde, having been at the Stadium during the morning, accompanying the other elements and staff and having performed the usual preseason physicals, having received positive evaluation in all of them.
“It is false that the athlete has accomplished in the meantime any test or medical examination concerning the matter on news.
“The athlete and Rio Ave Futebol Clube, have full knowledge of the perfect health of this State, as well as proven by the clinical specialty of Medical Report that says: “Ahmed Hassan … is completely heart standpoint fit for the exercise of high competition.”
You can read the full statement below: