Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
VIDEO: Ten man Etoile Sahel edge Esperance Tunis
Esperance’s hopes for the Confederation Cup trophy are in tatters after a home loss to ten man Etoile Sahel side, in a side that failed to live up to its billing. This follows their 3-0 defeat to Al Ahly.
Esperance Tunis XI: Ben Cherifia- Nefzi, Machani, Yaakoubi, Mbarki- Ragued, Chaalali, Reguii, Jelassi- Eduok, Jouini.
Etoile Sahel XI: Mathlouthi- Tej, Brigui, Jemal, Boughattas- Kom, Ben Amor, Lahmar, Mouihibi, Bangoura- Acosta.
The ‘Tunsian Clasico’ started with a chance for Alaya Brigui but the excitement of the game never built up on this. Esperance, depleted and looking to find their footing with a new coach, failed to impose themselves in a first half of hardly any clear cut chances. The Red Brigades comfortably tagged along and never looked in danger despite going a player down on the half hour mark. Acosta was sent off for an infringement towards Hocine Ragued.
Etoile Sahel kicked off the second half with a goal that brought life to the game. Ammar Jemmal headed home from a freekick just five minutes into the second half. From then on Esperance increased pressure on the Etoile defense but without luck. A handful of Taraji players; Mhirsi, Eduok, Jouini and Nefzi, were denied by being unlucky or through the prowess of goalkeeper Aymen Mathlouthi.
It certainly wasn’t the most memorable of Classicos but that won’t matter for Etoile, who recorded a successive victory. On the other hand, Esperance are on the brink after two loses and without a goal scored. Stade Malien host Al Ahly in the group’s other fixture tomorrow, July 12th.