Héctor Cúper spoke about Abdel-Shafy’s situation, Elneny and Kahraba ahead of Egypt’s crucial encounter...
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
Hegazy starts as midfielder in Fiorentina’s 2-0 friendly victory over Carpi
Egyptian international Ahmed Hegazy featured for Fiorentina in midfield in his side’s 2-0 victory over newly-promoted Serie A side Carpi.
Hegazy started in a very unusual position in midfield. The Egyptian played 45 minutes as Fiorentina newly-appointed manager Paulo Sousa tried to use the friendly as an opportunity to try as many players as possible; he would later start with 10 different players in the second half, with only Ilicic remaining on the pitch.
The 24-year-old Egyptian international looked surprisingly comfortable in midfield, even engaging in build up around the opponents’ penalty area at times.
Fiorentina scored both of their goals in the second half. The first came following a deflected shot from Viola’s star Josip Ilicic.
Giuseppe Rossi, returning from injury, assisted his side’s second; the Italian’s perfectly-weighted through pass found his Spanish team mate, Borja Valero, who finished the move calmly to seal the win.
Hegazy spent the second half of last season on loan at Perugia, starting nine games and coming on as a sub in just one.
If the young Pharaoh is to be deployed in this position, he will have to compete with Gonzalo, Basanta, Tomovic, and Alonso for the holding midfielder position, a task that will be extremely tough.
It is yet to be known if this was merely a pre-season experiment that will end in Hegazy returning to his usual centre-back position, or if Sousa will trigger a turning point in the player’s career.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) July 19, 2015