Al Nasr have sealed promotion to the Egyptian Premier League after securing...
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
Hegazy starts as midfielder in Fiorentina’s 2-0 friendly victory over Carpi
Egyptian international Ahmed Hegazy featured for Fiorentina in midfield in his side’s 2-0 victory over newly-promoted Serie A side Carpi.
Hegazy started in a very unusual position in midfield. The Egyptian played 45 minutes as Fiorentina newly-appointed manager Paulo Sousa tried to use the friendly as an opportunity to try as many players as possible; he would later start with 10 different players in the second half, with only Ilicic remaining on the pitch.
The 24-year-old Egyptian international looked surprisingly comfortable in midfield, even engaging in build up around the opponents’ penalty area at times.
Fiorentina scored both of their goals in the second half. The first came following a deflected shot from Viola’s star Josip Ilicic.
Giuseppe Rossi, returning from injury, assisted his side’s second; the Italian’s perfectly-weighted through pass found his Spanish team mate, Borja Valero, who finished the move calmly to seal the win.
Hegazy spent the second half of last season on loan at Perugia, starting nine games and coming on as a sub in just one.
If the young Pharaoh is to be deployed in this position, he will have to compete with Gonzalo, Basanta, Tomovic, and Alonso for the holding midfielder position, a task that will be extremely tough.
It is yet to be known if this was merely a pre-season experiment that will end in Hegazy returning to his usual centre-back position, or if Sousa will trigger a turning point in the player’s career.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) July 19, 2015