Al Ahly forward Emad Meteb spoke about the prospects of renewing his...
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
Hegazy starts as midfielder in Fiorentina’s 2-0 friendly victory over Carpi
Egyptian international Ahmed Hegazy featured for Fiorentina in midfield in his side’s 2-0 victory over newly-promoted Serie A side Carpi.
Hegazy started in a very unusual position in midfield. The Egyptian played 45 minutes as Fiorentina newly-appointed manager Paulo Sousa tried to use the friendly as an opportunity to try as many players as possible; he would later start with 10 different players in the second half, with only Ilicic remaining on the pitch.
The 24-year-old Egyptian international looked surprisingly comfortable in midfield, even engaging in build up around the opponents’ penalty area at times.
Fiorentina scored both of their goals in the second half. The first came following a deflected shot from Viola’s star Josip Ilicic.
Giuseppe Rossi, returning from injury, assisted his side’s second; the Italian’s perfectly-weighted through pass found his Spanish team mate, Borja Valero, who finished the move calmly to seal the win.
Hegazy spent the second half of last season on loan at Perugia, starting nine games and coming on as a sub in just one.
If the young Pharaoh is to be deployed in this position, he will have to compete with Gonzalo, Basanta, Tomovic, and Alonso for the holding midfielder position, a task that will be extremely tough.
It is yet to be known if this was merely a pre-season experiment that will end in Hegazy returning to his usual centre-back position, or if Sousa will trigger a turning point in the player’s career.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) July 19, 2015