Confederation of African Football officials have revealed their stance surrounding the...
- EXCLUSIVE | CAF reveal stance from Sundowns training venue problems
- Sundowns’ Dolly: We’re ‘chilling’ since arriving to Egypt
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Teko Modise: It will be a match to remember
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
Handball: Egypt earn a last-gasp win over hosts Brazil
Egypt earned a surprising and hard fought win 32-31 over hosts Brazil in the third Group D game at the men’s Junior World Handball Championship.
It was a difficult affair for the Egyptians, playing in front of a capacity crowd of 4,000 fans cheering for the home team at the Centro Olimpico in Uberaba.
Egypt had a slender lead over the Brazilians going into half time 17-16 after a tough first half in which Mohab Hossam endured a blow to the head that resulted in a bloody nose. After treatment, he was able to go on with the match.
The game went on with a fierce contest between the two teams, with Egypt turning a 25-26 score into 30-27 after four great, unanswered strikes.
Brazil then stepped up their game and equalized the score 30-30 with 90 seconds remaining on the clock. The Egyptians managed to keep the pressure up by scoring a point, but were quickly scored against with the score being 31-all.
After the Egyptian team called a time out, star player Yehia El Derea managed to score the winning point and grasped the win within the final seconds of the match.
The International Handball Association reported a respectful gesture from the Algerian team to the Egyptians after the match.
“As the Egyptian players and coaching staff left the court, they walked past the Algerian team, awaiting to enter for their following match against Denmark and one-by-one, the Algerians congratulated the Egyptian delegation on their achievement.”
Egypt just need to earn one point, a draw, to be able to qualify to the second round. Potential opponents are: France, Denmark, South Korea and Argentina.