Al Masry have renewed Hossam Hassan’s contract as he continues to manage...
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
- Hani Zada: Zamalek have a good record against Arab teams
- Hossam El-Badry: Club World Cup return is our aim
- Al Ahly, Zamalek opponents in CAFCL group stages revealed
- Smouha in Group C as CAFCC draw announced
Handball: Egypt earn a last-gasp win over hosts Brazil
Egypt earned a surprising and hard fought win 32-31 over hosts Brazil in the third Group D game at the men’s Junior World Handball Championship.
It was a difficult affair for the Egyptians, playing in front of a capacity crowd of 4,000 fans cheering for the home team at the Centro Olimpico in Uberaba.
Egypt had a slender lead over the Brazilians going into half time 17-16 after a tough first half in which Mohab Hossam endured a blow to the head that resulted in a bloody nose. After treatment, he was able to go on with the match.
The game went on with a fierce contest between the two teams, with Egypt turning a 25-26 score into 30-27 after four great, unanswered strikes.
Brazil then stepped up their game and equalized the score 30-30 with 90 seconds remaining on the clock. The Egyptians managed to keep the pressure up by scoring a point, but were quickly scored against with the score being 31-all.
After the Egyptian team called a time out, star player Yehia El Derea managed to score the winning point and grasped the win within the final seconds of the match.
The International Handball Association reported a respectful gesture from the Algerian team to the Egyptians after the match.
“As the Egyptian players and coaching staff left the court, they walked past the Algerian team, awaiting to enter for their following match against Denmark and one-by-one, the Algerians congratulated the Egyptian delegation on their achievement.”
Egypt just need to earn one point, a draw, to be able to qualify to the second round. Potential opponents are: France, Denmark, South Korea and Argentina.