The Egypt U-20 National Team drew their second game at AFCON after...
- Egypt U-20 National Team draw second game in a row at AFCON
- Ghana: World Cup hopes destroyed with Grant
- CAF to honor former Al Ahly chairman Hassan Hamdy
- EXCLUSIVE: Sam Morsy called up to Egypt squad
- Egypt court sentences 4 Ultras Ahlawy members to 15 years in prison
- Elneny speaks about his first Arsenal start against Spurs
- Stoke chairman excuses Ramadan from criticism after Spurs defeat
- Mohamed Ashraf scores as El-Gaish down Al Masry
- Hamoudi included in Al Ahly squad against Dakhleya
- Elmohamady: It’s going to be difficult at Leicester
Handball: Egypt earn a last-gasp win over hosts Brazil
Egypt earned a surprising and hard fought win 32-31 over hosts Brazil in the third Group D game at the men’s Junior World Handball Championship.
It was a difficult affair for the Egyptians, playing in front of a capacity crowd of 4,000 fans cheering for the home team at the Centro Olimpico in Uberaba.
Egypt had a slender lead over the Brazilians going into half time 17-16 after a tough first half in which Mohab Hossam endured a blow to the head that resulted in a bloody nose. After treatment, he was able to go on with the match.
The game went on with a fierce contest between the two teams, with Egypt turning a 25-26 score into 30-27 after four great, unanswered strikes.
Brazil then stepped up their game and equalized the score 30-30 with 90 seconds remaining on the clock. The Egyptians managed to keep the pressure up by scoring a point, but were quickly scored against with the score being 31-all.
After the Egyptian team called a time out, star player Yehia El Derea managed to score the winning point and grasped the win within the final seconds of the match.
The International Handball Association reported a respectful gesture from the Algerian team to the Egyptians after the match.
“As the Egyptian players and coaching staff left the court, they walked past the Algerian team, awaiting to enter for their following match against Denmark and one-by-one, the Algerians congratulated the Egyptian delegation on their achievement.”
Egypt just need to earn one point, a draw, to be able to qualify to the second round. Potential opponents are: France, Denmark, South Korea and Argentina.