Egypt international Mohamed Salah featured in his side’s 3-1 loss to arch-rivals Lazio...
- Salah features as Roma lose Derby della Capitale
- EFA fines Inacio and Mido
- Inacio: I am eager to win titles with Zamalek
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
VIDEO: Home sides Sfaxien, Tetouan falter in continental fixtures
CS Sfaxien 0-1 Orlando Pirates
Orlando Pirates kept pace with Zamalek, who earlier beat AC Leopard, thanks to a 1-0 win over Tunisian side Sfaxien. The goal came courtesy of Thabo Rakhale.
CS Sfaxien; Jridi- Maaloul, Saidani, Ben Jemia, Derbali- Meriah, Moncer, Louati, Hanachi, Chalouf- Mezlini
Orlando Pirates; Mhlongo- Sangweni, Jele, Nyauza, Matlaba- Sarr, Manyisa, Rakhale, Myeni, Gabuza- Majoro
The visitors were the stronger of the two and were unfortunate not to convert their plethora of chances into a goal. Thabo Matlaba was put through in the early moments of the first half but he could only scuffle his chance with the keeper to beat. In their domination, Pirates had a penalty contention waived away after Myeni was brought down when he looked likely to tap home.
Sfaxien could not create similar chances despite playing at home and only came close through an Ali Maaloul free-kick. His stinger dealt with relative ease by the Pirates goalkeeper.
The goal came on soon after the restart with Rakhale lobbing Jridi after the Pirates players managed to get in-behind the host’s defense. It could have been 2-0 but Sfaxien were lucky as Erasmus saw his rebound effort come off the side bar.
Pirates are second in Group B of the CAF Confederation Cup with six points while Sfaxien and Leopards languish at the bottom of the group with a point a piece.
Moghreb Tetouan 1-1 Al Hilal
Al Hilal retook top spot in Group A of the Champions League after holding Moghreb Tetouan away from home.
Moghreb Tetouan; El Yousfi- Khallati, Bouchtah, Lamrabat, Tato, Lakhal, Jahouh, Mimouni, Grada, Khadrouf, Krouch
Al Hilal; Feudjou- Masawi, Gaber, Koko, Omer, Bashir, Cisse, Hamid, Eltahir, Jhulliam, Mudather El Tahir
After a barren first half, the home side took the lead on the 70th minute mark courtesy of Khadrouf. This was after great build-up play by the Moroccans. However their lead was short lived as Hilal responded only seven minutes later. Andrezinho finished off inside the box to assure a share of the spoils.
The result leaves Moghreb Tetouan at the bottom of the group but only a point behind Smouha and two off the qualification positions.