Egypt national team left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will not be able to play in...
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
Xavi: Abou-Treika and Zidan are the best Arab footballers
The Spanish legend Xavi Hernandez said that the Egyptian duo Mohamed Abou-Treika and Mohamed Zidan are the best Arab footballers ever.
The former Barcelona star made these comments on Wednesday in an interview with the official website of his Qatari club Al Sadd.
“Mohamed Abou-Treika is the best Arab footballer in my point of view,” said Xavi.
“Abou-Treika is an outstanding player, so is former Borussia Dortmund player Mohamed Zidan,” he added.
Al Ahly legend Abou-Treika announced his retirement from football in 2013, while Zidan is reportedly close to joining Ismaily after a lengthy absence from football since terminating his contract with Bani Yas of UAE in 2013.
“I have watched the duo play with the Egyptian national team in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and they delivered an outstanding performance,” Al Sadd star explained.
Egypt took part in the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa but failed to qualify to the second round. The Pharaohs lost 4-3 against Brazil after delivering an outstanding performance, then achieved a 1-0 win over Italy but failed to advance to the next stage after losing 3-0 against USA.
The 35-year-old had previously said during a press conference for the Barcelona football school in Egypt that the Egyptian team have a lot of talent and that he believes the future is bright for the Pharaohs.
“I think in the future it could become a big player on the world stage,” Xavi said in a press conference at the Camp Nou.
Xavi also told KingFut in a previous interview that he believes Mohamed Salah is the most popular Egyptian player.
“Mohamed Salah is the most well known player [from Egypt] and the [Egyptian] players need to keep evolving, but through the cup [AFCON] that the Egyptian national team won proved how good this team is,” Xavi told KingFut.
The Spanish veteran midfielder joined Al Sadd on a two-year deal starting this summer after spending 17 years with Barcelona.