KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
- Roma cruise past Sampdoria to reach quarter-finals
- Elmohamady: Uganda’s match is very important
- EXCLUSIVE: Union Española turn down Zamalek bid for Carlos Salom
- Burkina Faso duo Pitroipa, Zongo to miss rest of AFCON
Elmohamady helps Hull City down Huddersfield on return to the Championship
Debutants Sam Clucas and Chuba Akpom both scored to help the Tigers secure all three points on their season opener against Huddersfield Town.
There was a minute’s applause ahead of kick-off to honour late Egyptian actor Omar Sharif, who was known to support Hull City, and former goalkeeper Ian McKechnie.
On his return to the Championship, Ahmed Elmohamady retained his spot in Hull City’s starting eleven. The Egypt international has not missed a league game with the Tigers since January 2013, a run spanning 86 consecutive fixtures.
Elmohamady was heavily involved in the first goal as his deep cross fell to left-winger Clucas, whose initial volley was saved by the Huddersfield goalkeeper before he followed up with the rebound.
The second goal had a Nigerian flavour as substitute Sone Aluko’s cross from the right found Arsenal loanee and Super Eagles eligible striker Akpom, who smashed the ball into the top corner from ten yards to seal the three points.
Hull City were relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2014/2015 season, but it remains to be seen if the Egyptian will remain at the club come the end of the summer transfer window. However, KingFut understands that Hull are yet to receive any official bids for ‘Elmo’.