Al Ahly football director and former player Sayed Abdel-Hafiz spoke about his...
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
Salah ‘very proud’ to play with Totti and Gervinho, sights on goals
After leaving Florence, where the Egyptian enjoyed an impressive loan spell – scoring nine goals and providing four assists in only 26 appearances for Fiorentina – Mohamed Salah joined AS Roma on loan from Chelsea, which was officially announced earlier this week.
The hype did not stop there for the 23-year-old winger, as he impressed on his first appearance for the Italian giants on Saturday night and scored just nine minutes into his unofficial Roma debut – a friendly against Valencia.
After the match, Salah was interviewed by AS Roma’s official website about his thoughts on the game and how he felt to make his debut and score his first goal for the club.
When asked about the win and team’s spirit, the Egyptian commented saying: ”It was a good match today and we started well, scoring two goals.”
He was then asked about his individual performance and how he felt he did, in which he replied: ”It was good, this was my first appearance and I hadn’t played for two months. I played a good 45 minutes and next time I hope to I play more and perform even better.”
Scoring his first goal for the club, Salah revealed his eagerness to do even better when the Italian league, Coppa Italia, and most importantly, the UEFA Champions League return: ”This was a friendly, I hope to score in Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the Champions League and then I’ll feel much better than I do now.”
The Egyptian star was later asked about teammates Gervinho and club captain Francesco Totti, whom he formed an attacking front three with during the first half of the friendly, in which he said: ”They’re good players and I’m very happy and proud to play with them. I hope we can achieve success together.”
Finally, Salah went on to discuss his preferred position on the pitch: ”I can operate in any of the front three positions as I did today when I played through the middle, on the right and left. That’s what Garcia asked us to do today.”
The 2015/16 Serie A season kicks off in just under two weeks, with Salah’s Roma visiting Verona on the opening matchday, 22 August.