Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi is set to visit Egypt on...
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
- AS Roma star Mohamed Salah: I’m happy to be back
- Talaat Youssef leads Al-Ahli Tripoli to CAF Champions League round of 32
- Egypt opponents Mali announce U-20 AFCON squad
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
Salah ‘very proud’ to play with Totti and Gervinho, sights on goals
After leaving Florence, where the Egyptian enjoyed an impressive loan spell – scoring nine goals and providing four assists in only 26 appearances for Fiorentina – Mohamed Salah joined AS Roma on loan from Chelsea, which was officially announced earlier this week.
The hype did not stop there for the 23-year-old winger, as he impressed on his first appearance for the Italian giants on Saturday night and scored just nine minutes into his unofficial Roma debut – a friendly against Valencia.
After the match, Salah was interviewed by AS Roma’s official website about his thoughts on the game and how he felt to make his debut and score his first goal for the club.
When asked about the win and team’s spirit, the Egyptian commented saying: ”It was a good match today and we started well, scoring two goals.”
He was then asked about his individual performance and how he felt he did, in which he replied: ”It was good, this was my first appearance and I hadn’t played for two months. I played a good 45 minutes and next time I hope to I play more and perform even better.”
Scoring his first goal for the club, Salah revealed his eagerness to do even better when the Italian league, Coppa Italia, and most importantly, the UEFA Champions League return: ”This was a friendly, I hope to score in Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the Champions League and then I’ll feel much better than I do now.”
The Egyptian star was later asked about teammates Gervinho and club captain Francesco Totti, whom he formed an attacking front three with during the first half of the friendly, in which he said: ”They’re good players and I’m very happy and proud to play with them. I hope we can achieve success together.”
Finally, Salah went on to discuss his preferred position on the pitch: ”I can operate in any of the front three positions as I did today when I played through the middle, on the right and left. That’s what Garcia asked us to do today.”
The 2015/16 Serie A season kicks off in just under two weeks, with Salah’s Roma visiting Verona on the opening matchday, 22 August.