KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
VIDEO: Esperance hold on to lead at Stade Malien
Samuel Eduok scored the lone goal for the Tunisian giants in the 25 minute, all before the game was postponed due to heavy rainfall.
Contrary to what happened in the game between Coton Sport and Al Ahly two years prior in the CAF Champions League, the game was not replayed, but rather it resumed from minute 49 – as per CAF Confederation Cup rules.
Despite the loss, the home side were actually the most vibrant of the duo in the opening minutes, Boubacar Bangoura’s half-volley deflected into the side netting by EST goalkeeper Sami Helal.
Minutes later, and Mamadou Coulibaly was denied by the ever-present Helal, who punched away the former’s stinging strike.
Against the run of play, Nigerian striker Eduok brought joy to Jose Anigo, after finished coolly into the net, following a flick-on by Fakhreddine Ben Youssef.
The restart on the following day saw the home side with far more grit, however it was EST who threatened – Ilyes Jelassi seeing his dangerous chance saved.
The ‘blood and gold’ came really close to conceding with 15 minutes to go, Coulibaly seeing his shot smack against the woodwork.
However, that proved to be the end of Stade Malien’s endeavors, as EST were denied a clear penalty towards the end, when Jelassi was brought down inside the box.
The win thus means EST have a chance to advance from the group, as they now sit on three points – four points off Al Ahly, who they play next.