Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Basketball: Egypt thrash Gabon in AfroBasket 2015 opener
Egypt’s basketball team defeated Gabon during the opening match of the AfroBasket 2015 which is held in Tunisia.
AfroBasket 2013 runners-up thrashed Gabon 96-49 in their first match in the tournament. The first quarter was led by Egypt as it ended 16-15, while the second quarter was total domination for the Egyptians ending 39-3.
The Pharaohs continued scoring and led comfortably throughout the second half to go on and win the game 96-49.
Egypt is now on top of Group C with two points while Gabon earned one point. Group C also includes Mali and Cameron.
This year’s African champion will be heading straight to Rio de Janeiro for the Olympics in 2016 while the other three semi-finalists will go into an Olympic qualifying tournament to qualify for the summer Olympics.
It is worth mentioning that the AfroBasket location was changed to the harbor city of Rades since Tunisia witnessed two deadly attacks this year.