Egypt national team left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will not be able to play in...
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
Basketball: Egypt thrash Gabon in AfroBasket 2015 opener
AfroBasket 2013 runners-up thrashed Gabon 96-49 in their first match in the tournament. The first quarter was led by Egypt as it ended 16-15, while the second quarter was total domination for the Egyptians ending 39-3.
The Pharaohs continued scoring and led comfortably throughout the second half to go on and win the game 96-49.
Egypt is now on top of Group C with two points while Gabon earned one point. Group C also includes Mali and Cameron.
This year’s African champion will be heading straight to Rio de Janeiro for the Olympics in 2016 while the other three semi-finalists will go into an Olympic qualifying tournament to qualify for the summer Olympics.
It is worth mentioning that the AfroBasket location was changed to the harbor city of Rades since Tunisia witnessed two deadly attacks this year.