Al Ahly football director Sayed Abdel-Hafiz introduced heavy fines that will be...
- Al Ahly: Hefty fines awaiting players breaching media ban
- Al Masry train on Port Said Stadium for first time since 2012 massacre
- Adebayor: Egypt are getting closer to reaching World Cup
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
VIDEO: Nenny assists as Basel draw at home to Maccabi Tel Aviv
Basel conceded a late, late equaliser at home to Maccabi Tel Aviv that has dented their hopes of UEFA Champions League qualification.
Mohamed El-Nenny played all 90 minutes and assisted his side’s second goal in what was a strong performance.
Eran Zahavi gave the visitors the lead in the 30th minutes, but a Mariano Delegado penalty sent both sides into the break on level terms.
El-Nenny went close to scoring in the second half, but his shot missed the target.
The 23-year-old’s biggest contribution in the match was yet to come, however; his excellent pinpoint pass released Breel Embolo in the 88th minute, and the teenager kept his composure to finish the resulting one-on-one chance.
If Basel thought the points were wrapped up by then, their opponents had other ideas. The referee awarded six minutes of added time, and Zahavi completed his brace in the 96th minute.
The goal means Maaccabi Tel Aviv have the advantage going into the return leg next Tuesday, but Basel will fancy their chances of securing a positive result and participating in yet another edition of Europe’s top club competition.