Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
Panathinaikos sign Algerian international Mehdi Abeid from Newcastle
Panathinaikos announced today the signing of Algerian international Mehdi Abeid on a three-year deal from Premier League side Newcastle United for a reported transfer fee of €600,000.
The 23-year old midfielders returns to the Athens-based club where he spent the 2013–2014 season on loan after an unsuccessful four year stint at St James’ Park where he made just 13 league appearances. During his time with the Magpies, he was also loaned out to Scottish Premier League side St. Johnstone.
Panathinaikos, who finished as league runner-ups last season behind champions Olympiacos, have bolstered their squad this summer with the signings of experienced veterans like Michael Essien, Sergio Sánchez and Jens Wemmer. The club is looking to win its first league title since 2010, and is also looking to qualify for the group stage of the Europa League.
Abeid, who has one cap for the Algeria national team, was a member of Algeria’s under-23 squad at the 2011 CAF U-23 Championship in Morocco. He also narrowly missed out on a place in Algeria’s roster for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations after suffering an injury just prior to the start of the competition.