Former Egypt manager Hassan Shehata has resigned from his post as Petrojet...
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
VIDEO: Etoile Sahel hold Stade Malien to reach CAF Confederation Cup semis
Knowing they needed only a point to join Al Ahly in the last four, Etoile du Sahel hardly stretched themselves in this fixture. They found themselves on the back foot early on but Stade Malien was not creating dangerous enough chances. Starting with Doumande’s early effort, the Malians were not being accurate when they had sight of goal.
The Malian side began the second half with similar urgency as they hoped to save their cup challenge. Midfielder Ousmane Diabaté saw his diving header almost go in.
They were to rue this miss moments later as Etoile took the lead on 57 minutes. Guinean forward, Al Khali Bangoura beat the Stade Malian goalkeeper from a tight angle on the right.
The Red Brigades sat back to protect their lead and came under some pressure from the host. All this paid off in the 94th minute when Moussa Coulibaly struck home from range after Etoile’s poor clearance from a corner kick. However, it was too little too late for them
The result means that Etoile du Sahel qualify into the last four but there will be the little issue of deciding top spot on matchday six. Both Al Ahly and Etoile Sahel have 10 points in this low scoring group. Stade Malien is third with 4 points while Esperance Sportive de Tunis has 3 points.