South Africa’s Minister of Sport and Recreation Fikiler Mbalula has expressed his discontent...
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
- Egypt’s assistant coach says Pharaohs won’t rely on history
- Sada Cruzeiro beat El-Gaish in Volleyball Club World Championship
VIDEO: Etoile Sahel hold Stade Malien to reach CAF Confederation Cup semis
Knowing they needed only a point to join Al Ahly in the last four, Etoile du Sahel hardly stretched themselves in this fixture. They found themselves on the back foot early on but Stade Malien was not creating dangerous enough chances. Starting with Doumande’s early effort, the Malians were not being accurate when they had sight of goal.
The Malian side began the second half with similar urgency as they hoped to save their cup challenge. Midfielder Ousmane Diabaté saw his diving header almost go in.
They were to rue this miss moments later as Etoile took the lead on 57 minutes. Guinean forward, Al Khali Bangoura beat the Stade Malian goalkeeper from a tight angle on the right.
The Red Brigades sat back to protect their lead and came under some pressure from the host. All this paid off in the 94th minute when Moussa Coulibaly struck home from range after Etoile’s poor clearance from a corner kick. However, it was too little too late for them
The result means that Etoile du Sahel qualify into the last four but there will be the little issue of deciding top spot on matchday six. Both Al Ahly and Etoile Sahel have 10 points in this low scoring group. Stade Malien is third with 4 points while Esperance Sportive de Tunis has 3 points.