Egypt’s local national team have defeated Benin 2-0 in the preparations for CHAN...
- VIDEO: Egypt’s locals national team defeat Benin
- Ghanaian officials banned for sexual harassment
- Mortada: Alain Giresse has agreed to manage Zamalek
- Volleyball: Al Ahly crowned African champions
- Egypt’s general prosecutor reopens the Air Defence Stadium case
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
VIDEO: Etoile Sahel hold Stade Malien to reach CAF Confederation Cup semis
Knowing they needed only a point to join Al Ahly in the last four, Etoile du Sahel hardly stretched themselves in this fixture. They found themselves on the back foot early on but Stade Malien was not creating dangerous enough chances. Starting with Doumande’s early effort, the Malians were not being accurate when they had sight of goal.
The Malian side began the second half with similar urgency as they hoped to save their cup challenge. Midfielder Ousmane Diabaté saw his diving header almost go in.
They were to rue this miss moments later as Etoile took the lead on 57 minutes. Guinean forward, Al Khali Bangoura beat the Stade Malian goalkeeper from a tight angle on the right.
The Red Brigades sat back to protect their lead and came under some pressure from the host. All this paid off in the 94th minute when Moussa Coulibaly struck home from range after Etoile’s poor clearance from a corner kick. However, it was too little too late for them
The result means that Etoile du Sahel qualify into the last four but there will be the little issue of deciding top spot on matchday six. Both Al Ahly and Etoile Sahel have 10 points in this low scoring group. Stade Malien is third with 4 points while Esperance Sportive de Tunis has 3 points.