Egypt international Mohamed Elneny has praised Mali, describing them as a tough...
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
- El-Hadary made history as Mali held Egypt to goalless draw
- Ayew scores from the spot as Ghana down Uganda
- Ehab Allam: Hull City have never been a ‘selling club’ under our ownership
- RELIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
VIDEO: Etoile Sahel hold Stade Malien to reach CAF Confederation Cup semis
Knowing they needed only a point to join Al Ahly in the last four, Etoile du Sahel hardly stretched themselves in this fixture. They found themselves on the back foot early on but Stade Malien was not creating dangerous enough chances. Starting with Doumande’s early effort, the Malians were not being accurate when they had sight of goal.
The Malian side began the second half with similar urgency as they hoped to save their cup challenge. Midfielder Ousmane Diabaté saw his diving header almost go in.
They were to rue this miss moments later as Etoile took the lead on 57 minutes. Guinean forward, Al Khali Bangoura beat the Stade Malian goalkeeper from a tight angle on the right.
The Red Brigades sat back to protect their lead and came under some pressure from the host. All this paid off in the 94th minute when Moussa Coulibaly struck home from range after Etoile’s poor clearance from a corner kick. However, it was too little too late for them
The result means that Etoile du Sahel qualify into the last four but there will be the little issue of deciding top spot on matchday six. Both Al Ahly and Etoile Sahel have 10 points in this low scoring group. Stade Malien is third with 4 points while Esperance Sportive de Tunis has 3 points.