Following the coronation of Mamelodi Sundowns with their first ever title, KingFut experts picked out...
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad to face Smouha
- Preview: MO Bejaia look to snatch CAF Confederation Cup from continental giants TP Mazembe
- HANDBALL: Al Ahly top their group, qualify to quarterfinals in African championship
Tennis: Sandra Samir wins Women’s Futures tournament singles title
Samir reached the final after a hard long semi-final match against Ireland’s Jenny Claffey 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. She then met French seed No. 5 Victoria Muntean, who she managed to defeat 6-1 and 6-2.
“The semi and final matches were not easy at all. My match against Claffey took a long time. Plus the weather was too hot. We started to play our matches around 5pm,” Samir said.
The tournament was held in Sharm El Sheikh from 3 to 9 August in the JolieVille Maritim Golf and Resort Tennis Club. It had players from 18 countries a total money prize of $10,000.
After winning her first singles title, the 17-year-old improved her world rankings from 607 to 511.
Samir started her tennis career at the age of 5 as she used to practice with her father who later became her trainer when she started to fell in love with the game at the age of 13.