Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has confirmed that his Cameroonian defender Joël Matip will not be going...
- Klopp confirms Joel Matip will not be going to AFCON
- FIFA announces bans on various African football officials
- Trezeguet’s Royal Mouscron appoint Mircea Rednic as manager
- Yannick Bolasie sidelined for a year after suffering knee injury
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
VIDEO: Nenny’s Basel knocked out of Champions League, Europa League beckons
Basel lost on away goals (3-3 on aggregate) to Hapoel Tel Aviv to crash out of the UEFA Champions League.
Kuffi’s early goal had given the Swiss giants hope of going through to the Champions League group stages, but Erin Zahavi struck against Basel for the third time in a week, after his late brace earned his side a draw in Switzerland last Wednesday.
The visitors broke the deadlock in the 11th minute; Zuffi curled a wonderful free-kick over the wall and into the back of the net via the inside of the post.
Basel had the chance to double their lead 3 minutes later, but a good passing move was wasted thanks to a poor shot straight at the goalkeeper.
Maccabi would have to wait just 10 minutes before the could equalise, as Erin Zahavi ran onto a long ball and poked it past ‘keeper Tomáš Vaclík to level both the game and the tie on aggregate.
In the end, the hosts would hold on for the draw and secure passage to the group stage of Europe’s premier club competition, while Basel will have to be content with a place in the Europa League.
The draw for the Europa League group stage will be held on Friday.
You can watch the goals and highlights below: