The Egyptian Minister of Youth & Sports has announced that a record-high...
- OFFICIAL: 75,000 allowed to attend Egypt qualifier against Ghana
- Momen Soliman: the best team won and Fathi could leave in January
- Pitso Mosimane targets Zamalek duo ahead of FIFA Club World Cup
- Mortada Mansour: ‘Magic and sorcery’ cost us
- Salah scores and assists in 4-1 win over Palermo
- VIDEO: Zamalek defeat Sundowns in Egypt but lose Champions League final
- Arab Champions League to return next summer in Egypt
- Warda features as Panetolikos lose to Levadiakos
- Egypt seeded third for Africa U-20 Cup of Nations draw
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
VIDEO: Nenny’s Basel knocked out of Champions League, Europa League beckons
Basel lost on away goals (3-3 on aggregate) to Hapoel Tel Aviv to crash out of the UEFA Champions League.
Kuffi’s early goal had given the Swiss giants hope of going through to the Champions League group stages, but Erin Zahavi struck against Basel for the third time in a week, after his late brace earned his side a draw in Switzerland last Wednesday.
The visitors broke the deadlock in the 11th minute; Zuffi curled a wonderful free-kick over the wall and into the back of the net via the inside of the post.
Basel had the chance to double their lead 3 minutes later, but a good passing move was wasted thanks to a poor shot straight at the goalkeeper.
Maccabi would have to wait just 10 minutes before the could equalise, as Erin Zahavi ran onto a long ball and poked it past ‘keeper Tomáš Vaclík to level both the game and the tie on aggregate.
In the end, the hosts would hold on for the draw and secure passage to the group stage of Europe’s premier club competition, while Basel will have to be content with a place in the Europa League.
The draw for the Europa League group stage will be held on Friday.
You can watch the goals and highlights below: