Al Ahly handball team managed to qualify for Egypt Cup semi-finals after...
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
- Mido: Emad Meteb would be welcomed at Wadi Degla
- Alain Giresse’s agent confirms Zamalek negotiations
- VIDEO: Egypt win 3-0 after a convincing performance against Togo
- Zamalek youngster Ahmed Aboul-Fetouh signs five-year contract extension
- Al Ahly’s Ahmed Adel: Ekramy is the best goalkeeper in Egypt
- Cuper offers advice to Roma star Salah
Hector Cuper comments on Egypt squad selection
Egypt national team manager Hector Cuper has addressed concerns over his selection processes today following the controversial absence some of the sides senior players in the squad picked to face Chad in the upcoming 2017 CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifier.
The Argentina manager named his 27 man squad for the upcoming tie with Chad, with Egypt looking to push on and consolidate their position at the top of their group in the away match.
The inclusions and exclusions of players has caused controversy though, with Cuper dropping established National team members Hossam Ghaly and Ahmed Fathi, whilst also opting to exclude the in-form Abdallah El-Saied of Al Ahly.
“I chose the best group in a position to implement tactics, and in the next game everyone will know whether I’m right or not, in terms of choices,” Cuper said when pressed on his selection choices in a press conference earlier today. “When walking down the streets or shopping malls, people asking me to include a particular player. I’ve been here for five months now and I follow all the players up close. I know their levels,” the Argentinian added.
Cuper, who has been in charge of the Pharaohs since March 2015, currently has a 100% win record after 3 matches, which included two friendlies and an African Cup qualifier. The Pharaohs will be looking to put some daylight between themselves and second placed Nigeria in their qualifying group with a win over Chad, with the match due to be played in Chad on the 6th of September.
The full squad for the upcoming qualifier can be seen HERE.