Héctor Cúper spoke about Abdel-Shafy’s situation, Elneny and Kahraba ahead of Egypt’s crucial encounter...
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
Hector Cuper comments on Egypt squad selection
Egypt national team manager Hector Cuper has addressed concerns over his selection processes today following the controversial absence some of the sides senior players in the squad picked to face Chad in the upcoming 2017 CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifier.
The Argentina manager named his 27 man squad for the upcoming tie with Chad, with Egypt looking to push on and consolidate their position at the top of their group in the away match.
The inclusions and exclusions of players has caused controversy though, with Cuper dropping established National team members Hossam Ghaly and Ahmed Fathi, whilst also opting to exclude the in-form Abdallah El-Saied of Al Ahly.
“I chose the best group in a position to implement tactics, and in the next game everyone will know whether I’m right or not, in terms of choices,” Cuper said when pressed on his selection choices in a press conference earlier today. “When walking down the streets or shopping malls, people asking me to include a particular player. I’ve been here for five months now and I follow all the players up close. I know their levels,” the Argentinian added.
Cuper, who has been in charge of the Pharaohs since March 2015, currently has a 100% win record after 3 matches, which included two friendlies and an African Cup qualifier. The Pharaohs will be looking to put some daylight between themselves and second placed Nigeria in their qualifying group with a win over Chad, with the match due to be played in Chad on the 6th of September.
The full squad for the upcoming qualifier can be seen HERE.