Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Sagnol reveals reasons for Gaber snub
Bordeaux have already pulled the plug on the Omar Gaber deal, after failing to agree a fee for the player’s transfer to Zamalek.
New reasons have emerged on why the transfer was cancelled, as Willy Sagnol explained after beating Kairat Almaty in the Europa League Qualification Playoff.
“Gaber is a boy who has qualities, however, ones that do not suit first division football. We have other priorities and other investments to make rather than betting on a non-guaranteed future of a player,” Sagnol said.
The French press also made it clear that the club’s top priority is to sign a defender before the transfer window closes.
Mortada Mansour had previously released statements saying that Omar Gaber wouldn’t leave the side for less than three million euros.
The Zamalek chairman also said that 23-year-old Gaber is to be punished for training with Bordeaux.
“The deal was to undergo a trial, not participate in training sessions and matches; a trial means sitting down with team, eating with them, drinking with them, it doesn’t mean training with them, they are a big team not a youth centre,” Mortada said.
“How do I sell a left back for $4m dollars then sell a right back for $400,000? I’d get jailed. The release clause for Omar is valid only for the previous season and not this one,” he added.
“We won’t sell Gaber except for a proper fee that matches the quality of the player and team,” he concluded.
Gaber’s impressive appearances for the Egyptian Premier League Champions earned him a spot on KingFut’s team of the season.