Egypt’s Minister of Youth and Sports Khaled Abdel-Aziz has officially approved on...
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
- Handball: Al Ahly win Africa Cup Winners’ Cup Championship
- Gaber starts in thrilling 2-2 draw against Vaduz
- Ramadan Sobhi’s Stoke fall 2-0 to Swansea City
- 10-man Hull City cruise past Watford with ease
- Wadi Degla women crowned Egypt Cup champions
Raneem El Welily unveiled as squash World Number One
Raneem El Welily has been unveiled as the new squash World Number One, ending Nicol David’s 9-year reign at the top.
Raneem, 26, climbed one spot from her previous ranking, leapfrogging Malaysian Nicol David to become the first-ever Egyptian woman to top the PSA rankings since their inception in 1983.
She is also the first Egyptian woman to top the rankings of any professional sport, ever.
— PSA World Tour (@PSAWorldTour) September 1, 2015
The Egyptian recently took part in the 2015 Egyptian Squash Open, and won the tournament after beating Nouran Gohar in the final.
Two months earlier, Raneem claimed the first Alexandrian Women’s International Squash Open, after defeating compatriot Omneya Abdel-Kawy 3-0 with relative ease.
One week later, she sat down with King Fut for an interview, in which she talked about her title, Alexandria, and squash as a sport.
You can see the latest PSA rankngs here.