KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Raneem El Welily unveiled as squash World Number One
Raneem El Welily has been unveiled as the new squash World Number One, ending Nicol David’s 9-year reign at the top.
Raneem, 26, climbed one spot from her previous ranking, leapfrogging Malaysian Nicol David to become the first-ever Egyptian woman to top the PSA rankings since their inception in 1983.
She is also the first Egyptian woman to top the rankings of any professional sport, ever.
— PSA World Tour (@PSAWorldTour) September 1, 2015
The Egyptian recently took part in the 2015 Egyptian Squash Open, and won the tournament after beating Nouran Gohar in the final.
Two months earlier, Raneem claimed the first Alexandrian Women’s International Squash Open, after defeating compatriot Omneya Abdel-Kawy 3-0 with relative ease.
One week later, she sat down with King Fut for an interview, in which she talked about her title, Alexandria, and squash as a sport.
You can see the latest PSA rankngs here.