Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Algeria-eligible Nabil Fekir out for at least 6 months
Depending on how Fekir responds to rehabilitation, he may miss the 2016 European Championship on home soil, a tournament in which his native France with a strong side featuring the likes of Paul Pogba, Karim Benzema and Hugo Lloris will have high hopes.
It will also come as a blow for Lyon, who would have been hoping to improve on their 2nd place finish from last season and challenge Paris Saint Germain for the Ligue 1 title, something they have not managed to achieve since 2008. It’s well worth noting that Lyon have already lost key midfielder Clement Grenier for 4 months due to an injury sustained in pre-season.
The Rhône-Alpes side see Fekir as a key player for the coming campaign, as his attacking partnership with Alexandre Lacazette is among the most prolific in Europe, and his stellar 2014/15 season saw him linked to the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United over the summer transfer window.
As France are hosting the European Championship, there have been no competitive fixtures for Les Bleus since the 2014 World Cup, which was before Fekir made his breakthrough into the French national team. As a result, he is still eligible to play for the Algerian national team in the same ruling that has seen Jermaine Jones and Diego Costa switch to USA and Spain respectively.
If Fekir does go on to miss the 2016 tournament, his next chance of competitive football with France would be on 5th September 2016. By this time, an emerging talent could potentially overtake his place in the France national team pecking order, and allow for the star to trade international allegiance for Algeria.