Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
Liberia defeat Tunisia in AFCON Qualifier
Group A favourites, Tunisia, lost away 1-0 to Liberia in coach Henryk Kasperczak’s first match in charge of the Carthage Eagles.
Tunisia XI; Mathlouthi- Abdenour, Syam Ben Yousssef, Brigui, Nagguez- Ben Jemaii, Lahmar, Ragued, Chikhaoui, Msakni- Khalifa.
The match had been threatened with postponement after heavy rains and a last minute pull out from the broadcaster but fortunately it went on. The Carthage Eagles looked different from the side that demolished Djibouti as they struggled to find their footing in a soggy turf.
The Liberians took charge from the go and were only denied a goal by repeated saves from Mathlouthi. In the second half, Tunisia seemed to be escaping with a point until, former Al Ahly striker; Francis Doe got the better of Mathlouthi in the 79th minute.
Tunisia is now third in Group A with 3 points ahead of their home meeting with Togo; who are on maximum points. Liberia’s hopes of qualification are very much alive as they take on minnows Djibouti next. The third round of matches will be played in March, 2016.