Egypt’s Aly Ghazal has finalised terms with Chinese Super League club Guizhou...
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
Barcelona defeat Al Ahly in IHF Super Globe handball championship
FC Barcelona defeated Al Ahly 20-16 in the quarter-final of the 2015 IHF Super Globe championship held in Qatar between 7-10 September.
The Spanish club defeated Al Ahly in the first round of the quarter-final of the championship, which is contested between the club champions from all continental confederations. Barcelona took the lead in the first half ending it 12-8 and maintained the lead in the second half to win the match 20-16.
Barcelona, who managed to advance to the semi-finals, are the reigning champions of the competition as they won the last two Super Globe editions in 2013 and 2014.
The European champions will now prepare to face the winner from the other semi-final between the African champions Club Africain and German Fuchse Berlin. Al Ahly are to face the losing team in the 5-8 position classification match.
It is worth mentioning that African runner-ups Al Ahly were invited by the International Handball Federation to take part in the competition, while Tunisa’s Club Africain qualified to represent the African continent after winning the African Handball Champions League in 2014.
Al Ahly have previously hosted the Super Globe competition in 2007 and took the silver medal after ranking second behind BM Ciudad Real.