AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Barcelona defeat Al Ahly in IHF Super Globe handball championship
FC Barcelona defeated Al Ahly 20-16 in the quarter-final of the 2015 IHF Super Globe championship held in Qatar between 7-10 September.
The Spanish club defeated Al Ahly in the first round of the quarter-final of the championship, which is contested between the club champions from all continental confederations. Barcelona took the lead in the first half ending it 12-8 and maintained the lead in the second half to win the match 20-16.
Barcelona, who managed to advance to the semi-finals, are the reigning champions of the competition as they won the last two Super Globe editions in 2013 and 2014.
The European champions will now prepare to face the winner from the other semi-final between the African champions Club Africain and German Fuchse Berlin. Al Ahly are to face the losing team in the 5-8 position classification match.
It is worth mentioning that African runner-ups Al Ahly were invited by the International Handball Federation to take part in the competition, while Tunisa’s Club Africain qualified to represent the African continent after winning the African Handball Champions League in 2014.
Al Ahly have previously hosted the Super Globe competition in 2007 and took the silver medal after ranking second behind BM Ciudad Real.