Nigerian footballing legend Emmanuel Amuneke revealed that he is keen to ply...
- Sundowns’ keeper Onyango on Zamalek clash: It’s not done yet
- Emmanuel Amuneke open to managing Zamalek
- EXCLUSIVE | CAF reveal stance from Sundowns training venue problems
- Sundowns’ Dolly: We’re ‘chilling’ since arriving to Egypt
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Teko Modise: It will be a match to remember
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
Barcelona defeat Al Ahly in IHF Super Globe handball championship
FC Barcelona defeated Al Ahly 20-16 in the quarter-final of the 2015 IHF Super Globe championship held in Qatar between 7-10 September.
The Spanish club defeated Al Ahly in the first round of the quarter-final of the championship, which is contested between the club champions from all continental confederations. Barcelona took the lead in the first half ending it 12-8 and maintained the lead in the second half to win the match 20-16.
Barcelona, who managed to advance to the semi-finals, are the reigning champions of the competition as they won the last two Super Globe editions in 2013 and 2014.
The European champions will now prepare to face the winner from the other semi-final between the African champions Club Africain and German Fuchse Berlin. Al Ahly are to face the losing team in the 5-8 position classification match.
It is worth mentioning that African runner-ups Al Ahly were invited by the International Handball Federation to take part in the competition, while Tunisa’s Club Africain qualified to represent the African continent after winning the African Handball Champions League in 2014.
Al Ahly have previously hosted the Super Globe competition in 2007 and took the silver medal after ranking second behind BM Ciudad Real.