Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Egypt lines-up Cameroon, Australia friendlies as World Cup qualifying looms
The exact date for Egypt’s test against the Indomitable Lions hasn’t been confirmed, but Egyptian Football Association officials say they’re targeting October 8 or 9.
Meanwhile, the clash with Australia is confirmed for October 13. The Socceroos replace South Korea, Egypt’s previously scheduled opponent for the same date.
No official word was given regarding venues for the matches.
Then-defending African champions Egypt last played Australia in a 2010 friendly in Cairo, running-out easy 3-0 winners.
Egypt and Cameroon last met in 2012 in Sudan, with Egypt winning 2-1.
Egypt’s World Cup qualifying campaign kicks-off in November. The Pharaohs will be awaiting the winner of the October home-and-away playoff between Sierra Leone and Chad to see who it will face in its own World Cup qualifying playoff a month later.
Egypt and Chad just faced-off on the weekend in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier. The Pharaohs made quick work of their Group G opponent with a 5-1 away win.
Sierra Leone had a positive result of its own on Sunday, holding African champions Ivory Coast to a scoreless draw in their AFCON qualifier.
The Leone Stars will be favorites to advance past Chad in October and would be a difficult test for an Egyptian side looking to end what would be a 28-year World Cup drought.
Egypt and Sierra Leone have only ever met twice before, with Egypt failing to win either contest.