Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
VIDEO: Cape Verde defeat Libya in Cairo
The match was played at the Petro Sport stadium in Cairo, after the Egyptian authorities agreed to let Libya use the stadium for the first home encounter of their qualifying campaign.
In a frantic match that saw Libya miss two penalties, the Blue Sharks would eventually seal the win thanks to a 90th minute goal.
Libya missed their first penalty in the 46th minute, Al-Masri the taker, with what was virtually the final kick of the ball in the first interval.
Cape Verde took the lead early in the second half, after an outswinging free-kick was poorly defended; an unmarked Carlos da Graca bundled the ball home at the second attempt.
8 minutes later, Libya missed their second spot-kick of the match, as it became increasingly obvious that this was just going to be one of those days for the side.
Al Moatasem Al Mosrati gave the travelling support something to cheer about in the 86th minute, when his rocket effort from a set-piece took the goalkeeper by surprise and nestled in the back of the net.
Nevertheless, Cape Verde had the last laugh, as substitute Ryan Mendes did well to skip past a defender and finish across the keeper.
Libya are now joint-bottom with Sao Tome and Principe with two losses in two, while Morocco and Cape Verde are both tied on six points. Libya will back themselves to pick up their first points in their qualifying campaign against minnow Sao Tome and Principe on matchday three.
You can watch the goals below: