KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Cúper: Important three points, but it’s just a small step
In television comments made to Al Hayah, Egypt’s national team manager, Héctor Cúper, talked about the importance of the Chad win, expectations for Nigeria and the need to keep going strong.
Cúper starts: “The three points against Chad are very important, but it’s just a small step towards qualification.
“The win will help convince Egyptians of the team’s performances and ability.”
The interviewer then asked about the Nigeria game and how Egypt haven’t yet faced a tough opponent, to which the Argentine replied: “All matches are important, but facing strong teams is critical in order to assess the team and players.
“The process is going smoothly, calmly and that they shouldn’t get over-excited, because that’s dangerous in football.”
When asked about notable exclusions from the team, like Abdallah El-Said, Walid Soliman, Hossam Ghaly and Hossam Ashour, he responded :”Club fans have their own visualization of their national team, which is normal all around the world, but I pick players that fit into my system.”
On the subject of Hegazy, Rabia and Saleh Gomaa all returning to Egypt and how he sees Salah’s transfer to Roma, Cúper concluded: “It’s good that I can keep a close eye on players in the Egyptian Premier League, and I’m okay with it as long as they see it as the best choice for them personally. Salah’s move is an important step for him.”